Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

goin to New Orleans!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by blong1, Apr 21, 2005.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hey guys and gals...i have a question for all of yall.

i've only been to new orleans 1 time back when i was young, so obviously i didn't get to do all the cool stuff.

i'm gonna be making my way back there for a week's stay in one week for my honeymoon. any suggestions on what to do there, what to see, where to go, places to eat, anything to stay away from?

so give me the scoop people. what's happenin' in the 'Big Easy' ?

2. Congratulations. I've had two kids since I moved here, so I'll wait for someone else to chime in for hidden night spots, but there is an ass load (exact measurement) to do here. You'll want to hit the Quarter. During the week in the morning is, for me, the best time to just "tour" the French Quarter. Eating out is a must, and confusing. Too many places to choose from. I've found the Gambit Weekly Magazine (www.bestofneworleans.com) has never screwed me on a restaurant. Places I've enjoyed: Sugar Magnolia's, Acme Oysterhouse, Abita Brew Pub (this is a drive) and Mike Anderson's....among the dozens of above average places. I'm not sure if solid natives will mock me for this. We might be of more help if we knew what you are looking to do and what month you'll be here.

Mike

3. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    thanks for the reply...i'll be there may 1 - 8. i want to do some of the spook tours, gonna visit the audubon (sp?) zoo and aquarium, want to hit some voodoo shops, gonna do a little gambling...typical tourist stuff. i guess what i'm looking for are the cool clubs (when i say clubs, i mean live music venues...no booty music), and also places to eat, and anything else that is a must if you are visiting NO.

4. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've only been to New Orleans twice, but love the town. We stayed in the French Quarter both times and without a car, we rarely left the area.

Enjoy walking the quarter, its a wonderful area. Also go over to Frenchman Street, nice places, great music, and not "tourist-y". Don't be on a diet; can't go wrong with the food just about anywhere, but I really like Irene's in the Quarter. Try gumbos and pralines whenever you can. Go see Rebirth Brass band or Wild Magnolias if they're around. And anyone named Neville or Marsalis is a safe bet. George Porter, Jr. Snooks Eaglin. Dr. John or any Dr. John-like boogie piano player. Go to Tipitina's and the Maple Leaf Bar. Get beneigts at 4 in the morning at Cafe Du Monde. Don't get too drunk or beligerent, the cops will be happy to put you up for a night. Keep your wallet away from the pickpockets. If your bride is at all into stiching/needlepoint visit the French Stitch, tell Jill that Jeff and JoAnn from LA said hi (she also used to run a B&B that we stayed at).

A highlight from the last trip was that a bass player at one of the bars on Bourbon St let me sit in for him for a couple of songs. Started with House of the Rising Sun (kind of a staple around there, cheese is served in abundance for the tourists on Bourbon St), then got to do 5 min solo with the drummer while the guitarist changed a broken string, then did a 10 min Hey Joe.

5. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    oh yeah, and go over to the Lousiana Music Factory to find out who's playing where. And buy some CDs and stuff.

6. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    If you got the scratch, I would recommend spending at least one nite at one of the high rent hotels near the river/french quarter. The Wyndham, Riverside Hilton, & Marriott are so conveniently located, that the extra money is well spent. You are within walking distance all the touristy places in or near the French Quarter.

There is the Aquarium of the Americas / Imax Theater, and The Riverwalk Mall (Interesting shops mixed in with the chain operations).

Jackson Square and the old cathedral located there are a good destination. When you get there you will find a sizeable number of street artisans, performers, and winos all within a stones throw of each other.

Cafe DuMond is a must do for most travelers; it's an open-air beignets (Think square donut) Shop. The area is a people watchers paradise. There are too many good restaurants to mention other than to say I recently had dinner at a place called Bacco's, 310 Chartres St., in the Quarter... wasn’t cheap but boy was the food good.

IME people either love the place or hate it. I love it. Just use common sense and you'll be fine. Walking around N.O. wasted at 3 a.m. is not a good idea. In fairness to N.O. it's not wise to try that in most Big Cities.

Best of Luck and enjoy some Gumbo and Crawdads while your there.

7. Go to the red door, say hi to charlie, get in a fight w/ the middle aged crack-head named chris (he's a dufus)...leave.

the aquarium and zoo are both nice.

be sure to act like you aren't a tourist. point at tourists and say, 'haha, look at those touristos, they are so goofy.' This is one of the main benefits of living n the city. Looking down on others is good for your self-esteem.

Don't take any advice from anyone who recommends Juan's Flying Burrito.