Going 5 string for first time???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BHuntsalot, Dec 31, 2004.

1. BHuntsalot

Nov 3, 2004
    I have been playing bass for about 3 years. I have just decided to go to a 5 string. I am getting a Cort 5 string Action bass.(I have the same bass in 4 string) How hard will it be to get used to the 5 string as I have played a few and it is very unfamiliar. Also how good are the Cort Action bass? Thank you for your input.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    None of the members nor your abused shift key can answer that quesiton for you. Everyone is different. I bought a 7 string a few weeks ago, picked it up, and can play it no proble. I can do the same with 5's and 6's. Some people can't play a 5 for the life of them. Everybody's different, so just experiment with stuff.
  3. Dunno if this helps but I couldn't do it til I quit smoking dope. No judgement on anyone else, I'm just plenty stupid enough w/o enhancement.
  4. Hey,

I also bought my first 5 a week ago. I did a lot of trying before and finally figured out that after 15 years on a 4 string, I couldn't play a five with those 17mm spacing. I tried a lot: Fender, Tobias, Modulus, Warwick. None of them felt comfortable.

I finally settled on a Zon Studio. It has the 19mmm spacing (at bridge, like on a 4).
    So, one thing, try the instrument before spending some money.

Ah, also, don't switch to graphite... you'll become addicted... and it comes at a great price... litteraly.

5. StingRay5guy

StingRay5guy Guest

Oct 14, 2004
    Just experiment and see if you find a comfortable fit. I did it with Fender, Warwick, Modulus, Tobias, and Ernie Ball and my Stingray had the fat tone that I was looking for. I've never tried a Cort though. If you can play it and it feels comfortable, more power to you. It's just a matter of finding out if you can still groove on a 5. :smug:
  6. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    ditto: I just got a 5 and gigged with it already. I think I'm in love. I use low B tuning, and being able to run my shapes across the strings when playing in E or D (for example) is great.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My advice is to play your five exclusively until you get used to it. That's what I did when I switched.