1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going alone to concerts, cinema or restaurants?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 25, 2012.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

How do you feel about going to concerts, the cinema or out to eat at a restaurant alone? I personally have no issue with it, and have done it often. I do know several people that would not considering doing any of the above without the company of others. How about you?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've done restaurants alone but not movies nor concerts... but I have considered it.

3. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    No issues here...done it a bunch.

4. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I do it all the time. In fact, one of my favorite things to do is go to the bar by myself and read.

5. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Great way to meet new people. :)

6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I consider it a real personal treat.

7. I go to concerts and movies by myself all the time. In fact, for concerts, I almost prefer it, unless I know the person going with me is really a fan. It sux to go hear one of my favorite bands with a date who isn't really into it.

Plus you can almost always get one good seat at the last minute, long after all the pairs of seats have been sold. :)

I don't often go out to eat by myself, but I certainly don't have a problem doing so.

8. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    What a coincidence! I like to go to the library and drink. :p

9. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Right on! Afternoon reading in the bar, just before the crowds came at the latter half of happy hour was great. That made academic reading much more enjoyable. ;)

10. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    *spit take*

11. I've been to plenty of restaurants alone, in fact, most days at school (university) that's generally how I eat, most of my friends are either out of college by now, or decided to take another career route. Haven't done concerts or movies alone though. Of course, I rarely go to the cinema.

edit: I do recall, that everybody left the show after my first band played its first and last gig, I had a hell of a time and met a lot of new people that I've been friends with ever since. Does that count?

12. nickbass79

nickbass79

Nov 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    HAha!!!

13. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Never done a movie or concert alone, but eating alone's rather nice. I can at least focus on the meal better.

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I don't like going anywhere alone. As a consequence, I rarely ever go anywhere.

15. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is that that mushroom I keep hearing about?

16. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    I`ve done it before, but "sharing" the moment is usually important to me.

17. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I do it all the time.
    I would rather go to a show alone and meet people there.
    When you are with people you do not meet new people.

18. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Most of the concerts I've attended, I've attended alone. Probably because I didn't know anyone else who wanted to see the same shows I did. I never had an issue with it. When I go see a concert I like to focus on the show and being with the wrong person can be distracting. At the same time it can be nice to have someone to exchange glances with and compare notes with after the show. I feel similarly about going to see films, but it's rare that I'll go to a restaurant on my own, as I see dining out as being more of a social event.

19. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    been to movies alone before when no one else wants to see a movie Im interested in.

20. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Eating alone is best for me. I can get in and get out in fifteen minutes without having to sit there forever talking and having drinks refilled over and over.

To the other two, I always go with people.