1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going back 15 years....

Discussion in 'Ask Ray Riendeau' started by circuitspore, Aug 26, 2010.

1. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi Ray. By coincidence I grabbed "Gilt" on the way out the door this morning, and was reminded of your tasty playing on that album. Then I come to find out you've started hanging out here. Sweet.....

Could you give us a little info on the gear you were using during that time period? I was really digging the overdriven/distorted tones you achieved on that album.

Thanks!

2. rayriendeau

rayriendeau

Mar 19, 2007
    Arizona, USA
    I too love the bass tones on that CD. It was produced by Slyvia Massy who who did the first TOOL record, another CD with great bass tones.
    The main thing we did was to have 3 bass channels per song. One was a dry direct, one was the bass cabinet miked (an Ampeg SVT I believe) and the third another direct line with distortion ( I believe a Boss overdrive). From there it was just a matter of mixing the 3 to get desired sounds.
    The main bass was a Modulus graphite 5 string on that session.

3. DeathDancer

DeathDancer

Oct 10, 2005
    Thanks for answer Ray! I had known it was a Modulus (was one of the reasons a teenage me lusted for a Modulus!) I had thought it was a DI/amp combo but glad to hear it was 3 tracks as I'd always wanted to use 3-4 tracks but could never find someone that was willing to track me that way. Gilt is still one of my favorite bass tones ever across the whole album!