Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going back in the studio with the Warwick...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Domino, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Got my Warwick Corvette Proline Active tuned up and I'm heading back into the studio to redo the CD that came out with crap tone last time. This time we are planning on mic'ing the cabinet and running a direct line and mixing the tones. Any other last minute suggestions to get good studio tone out of this? Should I put some bright flats or flatwounds on it and get rid of the Warwick Black Label strings?

Thanks!

2. hey Domino, its nice to hear that you are going to give the warwick another chance. like i said in your last post i have a thumb 4 bolt-on. i was having some problems getting a good tone while recording but not as bad as my stingray. i change my black label strings to some nickel strings (ken smith bass burners) and that seemed to help. but this week before we did some recording i took a srcew driver and adjusted my pickups, this seemed to make a big diference. give it a try, just remember how many turns you make so you can put them back to your starting point. it helped me get a lot of extra noise out of the sound, those pickups at least on my thumb seem to pick up more noise then they need to. good luck :)

3. Domino

Domino

Dec 5, 2000
    Thanks for the tip!

I'm not having a problem with noise from the pickups - it's more of just the overall tone. It sounded really tin-like and had NONE of the "sound of wood" to it that I get through my rig. Too much string definition too it picked up every little tiny thing.

4. if by tiny things you mean fret noise then you might want to try nickel strings, they are not as bright as the steel.
    you might still want to play with the pickup height if you dare, i didn't at first but after i turned them down while counting my turns i was very glad i did it. i pluck pretty hard so that is why it seemed to help me.

we will be waiting for you to post some MP3's
    p.s. micing the amps probally is a good idea, if you like the tone the amp is giving. you might want to ask the recording enginer if he ever played bass, i have found that guitar players turned engineers always recorded me low in the mix.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Also, get the engineer do some knob tweaking, most studios habe a setting for Jazz basses that's used for years, but doesn't necessarily work with the Warwick...

6. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    This the way I had the best tone in recordings.
    I must say the sound engineer and I took a lot of time to place the mic, tweek EQ on bass and amp, and he spent also some quality time on mixing the 2 tracks and re-EQing them.
    I was lucky I think.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Wait i know woh to fix youre problem! See if the studio has a aphex aural exciter and if he doesnt go and buy one or rent one for the studio! Get the one with big bottom! This will help you so much! Give it time to play with it a bit it can make so many diff sounds!

8. akajuve400g

akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    Louisiana
    To get rid of this all you have to do is lift the volume knob to bypass the active pickups and use some broken in strings. Cause the first couple of days I have new string my corvette sounds like a bass synth.....which I thik is kinda cool.

9. hehehe I'd find that cool unless I really needed my real tone =) ..I personally don't like newer strings.. I keep my strings entirely too long. =) I keep em until they get really dirty (when you can see them dirty standing away from it!)

10. A tip for mic'ing your cab, is to place your amp in a separate room with the mic, and close the door. you will need a long lead from the DI to your amp, but the sound will be great.

11. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    I've recorded with a Warwick Neck-through thumb 5 string and had great results: a sound that cut through the mix without drowning out the other instruments.
    I typically go through an Aguilar or Eclair Engineering Evil Twin preamp direct to tape (bypassing the console)

One thing that I do that seems to keep the sound as good as possible is to clean the frets (you do have brass frets, don't you?) with Brasso. The shiny clean frets seem to make a difference.
    Best of luck
    Digs