1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going back to guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by klejst, Mar 15, 2013.

1. klejst

klejst

Oct 5, 2010
    Nebraska
    I have actually been thinking about it for a while now since my last band broke up almost a year ago. I have been jamming a little with a buddy of mine, however the flame of playing bass has recently more so started to flicker and fade a little for me. I have seriously been thinking about going back and playing electric guitar full-time. I started out on the guitar back in 1997 when I was a teenager and then picked up the bass years later when bands and friends I played with needed bass players and have stuck with it strong for the last four years. Now it's kinda my "in" again for playing guitar.

Now, I know many would say to stick with bass and do both, however I have always been a "one at a time" type musician...I know sounds crazy. Truth be told my bass gear has sat dormant for the better part of the last 4-5 months and when I jam with my buddy normally it is just through a PA or when we record it is right into the computer itself. I am probably sitting on a good amount of money of gear that is just not getting used and right now the money looks good in my eyes. Jamming with my buddy is just a hobby, but realistically I honestly with this new jamming would like to get back into the guitar with it. It's what I started on. I love the bass don't get me wrong, but it's just time for that change. Also it sucks not really being able to solo that well with bass, guitar I find it much easier. Been thinking about it, however I know sooner or later I'll make a choice.

2. Why not just sell all of your good gear and buy a really cheap bass and a really cheap guitar if you aren't really serious about either instrument?

3. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Once you abandon bass and switch to guitar your IQ will decrease. It's a fact.
    'Read Flowers For Algernon'

4. IDK, I play both. If your location is current, it doesn't hurt to be ready on guitar AND bass. Sometimes good bands can be hard to find. Playing both helps your odds a bit.

Like anything, it just takes a little practice and dedication. In my band drought, I got very rusty on bass. Just was I was getting back into guitar and picking up speed, I found a spot playing bass again.

5. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    I've got no problem with this. Don't do anything because you think you have to... OK... Pay yer taxes! You have to do that!

Music is art and self expression. If you're not feeling it on bass, then yeah, switch. Follow your passions. I just started to play guitar a few years ago. I'm not great at it, but being able to play both now gives me a much better appreciation for what guitarists do. In the end, I'll always be a bass player who plays guitar. It's the way I will probably always see myself. You may very well end up being a guitarist who also plays bass.

6. Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    If he switches back to guitar... he might not be able to read anymore... The brain atrophies quite quickly.

So yeah, read "Flowers For Algernon", whilst you still can!!!! :bag:

7. Sonicfrog

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    Atrophy... A Trophy.... Hmmm.