Going back to roundwounds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Gothic, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    ...but I'm looking for specific stuff.

So, a little backstory. I've been playing with flats on my only p-bass for some years now and got that category sorted. Now, I need a set of rounds, mainly for a MM style fiver (also for a PJ4).

Thing is, I'm very particular about tension. I'd been using the 9050m fender set (55-105) and the D&G were killing me. I'd been using them for quite some time but I could never get used to that kind of tension. I was slower, got tired much faster and had wrist pain after gigs where adrenaline would take over and I'd got heavy handed.

After getting a set of TI's, the skies cleared and the birds starting singing again and I'm happy! I also tried a set of LaBella 760FS on another bass and, while better than the Fenders, I still found them a bit too much.

Now, I got kind of a problem with my wrists and it hurts badly when I'm fighting against the higher tension strings, plus I tend to be a tad clanky and heavy handed at times so... yeah. Lighter strings ftw.

Now, roundwounds. Never paid much attention to different types in the past. Usually got a set of D'Addarios whenever mushrooms started growing on the ones I'd got on so...

By the way, I'd really like to avoid SS strings (I know this narrows my choices way down). IME, they tend to chew up the frets faster than I'd like and I'm not too keen on refretting. And this is not conjecture, I'd dug grooves on a JB's frets after using steels for two or three years. Ended up defretting it!

Sooo... low tension, easy on the fretwire, roundwounds. Probably not hex cores, considering the tension requirement... Not sure on the gauge, although I'm leaning on 40's. I've a set of 45's on a four banger right now and they're not THAT heavy on my hands but they're not TI loose, either, so...

Help...?

Many, MANY thanks in advance!

Williethump and stuntbass77 like this.
  2. Some hex-core strings are actually more flexible than some round-core ones. For example, Dunlop Super Bright Nickels (hex core) 45-105 would feel looser than GHS Round Core Boomers 45-105 due to the difference in the core diameter. So, don't rule out hex cores necessarily. It's a combination of core type, core size and overall gauges that would determine how a set of strings actually FEEL in terms of stiffness/flexibility.

You may have to try a few different sets from a few different brands to find the ones that feel right to you.

I personally like hex-core strings of fairly light gauges (40-95/40-100) as they are comfortable without being floppy.

MattZilla, eriky4003, P Cheen and 3 others like this.
  3. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    GHS Round core Bass Boomers are my favorite round core nps strings. Give those a shot!

4. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    What roundwounds have you liked the sound of in the past?

5. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I 2nd the Jazz Rounds. I love everything about them except that they only last about a year of heavy gigging.

Gothic likes this.
  6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Pure Blues.

Round core, lighter tension, and the wrap is very soft to the touch. Great tone, too.

7. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Elixir nickels. Medium Guage.

Flatwound strings are stiff, rigid, and high tension. Any set of roundwound strings will feel like night and day. That's why TI flats get so much love. They play like a set of nickel rounds.

Swampish and Gothic like this.
  8. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    These are what you're looking for.
    image.jpeg
    Fender 7250-5L Super Bass...
    Nickel-Plated Steel Long Scale
    Gauges: 40-60-80-100-115

Phaidrus, Joe BassPlayer and Gothic like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    TI Jazz Rounds are pretty great if you want less tension.
    Stringjoy is great for a more traditional set.

Loring and Gothic like this.
  10. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    +1 on the DR Pure Blues.

11. stuntbass77

stuntbass77

Nov 6, 2007
    I like Dunlop nickels and DR sunbeams. I have Chromes right now as my flats but will be trying Labella’s soon. I love TI’s but I want higher tension for this bass and is the only reason for not going with them again. Hope you find the right set !

MonetBass and Gothic like this.
  12. tindrum

tindrum Supporting Member

May 2, 2007
    Suffolk, VA
    Hands down Dunlop Super Brights are your answer. Low tension and they sound absolutely PHENOMENAL. Lots of threads about them here yo research. DR Sunbeams would be my 2nd choice. They have just a hair less tension than the Pure Blues.

MCF, wyleeboxer, eriky4003 and 3 others like this.
  13. babsobass

babsobass

Jan 10, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I like the Rotosound Nickels.

rotosound-swing-bass-4-string-nickel-roundwound-long-scale-045-105-rs66ldn-18.gif

Bboopbennie, jwoiton, kentiki and 2 others like this.
  14. MynameisMe

MynameisMe What will you be remembered for? Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax, Florida
    D4 Pure Blues.
    That's what is going on my Carvin Jazz when it gets the truss rod replaced in the next couple weeks.
    They have magic.

jmattbassplaya and Gothic like this.
  15. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Also my two choices. Great minds think alike.

tindrum likes this.
  16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    +1 on Dunlop Super Brights Nickel.

Regarding the gauge...

according one of string practitioner experts here who said that he (or the company he works in) had dissected the Super Brights and found out the hex core inside the SB 45-105 gauge are comparable to the others' 30-90 gauge. So, they are quite flexible/loose and lower tension, despite being hex core inside.

IME, I like the flexibility and the tension of SB 45-105 set on a 34" scale. But for my 35" scales, I have both SB 45-105 (+ 130 low-B + 30 high-C) and 40-100 (+ 120 low-B) sets, I prefer the latter.

So, given that you came from flatwound 55-105 set, probably the SB 45-105 (and 125 low-B) set would already be loose enough for you.

MCF and Gothic like this.
  17. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    The DR Pure Blues come in a .040 set, look for the Victor Wooten set.

D’ Addario XL nickels come in .035, an excellent, affordable set.

GHS Boomers have a super fun. Super Light, nickel .030.

Fret Nation.com for fast, free shipping, rewards points, frequent discount alerts. Also lots of singles available if you want to start rolling your own custom sets.

BassFalcon and Gothic like this.
  18. digmeout

digmeout Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Arizona
    I'd also have to say Dunlop Super Brights. I've been using the 40-100 set, but I'm thinking of moving up to the 45-105 set because I have kind of a heavy right hand and think a little more tension will help.

Gothic likes this.
  19. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    @Gothic "Now, I need a set of rounds, mainly for a MM style fiver"

I'll throw out since your are asking about a string set for a FIVER due to wrist soreness and fatigue check the gauges of some of the strings recommended above, in a fiver set some are as high as 125-130 might defeat the purpose since your wrists are sore and having difficulty with 105's...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
    Gothic likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021