Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going crazy without my bass!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Dec 27, 2004.

1. I came home for the holidays and I couldn't bring my bass with me. Im dying. But hey. Is there anyhting I can do to practice without a bass?

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    It may look stupid, but go air guitar (er...bass)

Thats how I get by in school...:D

3. Ya man, when you feel that groove you have to go air..hehehe

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I went bass-less for a week and a day when I went down to visit my daughter; it was the worst part of the trip, not being able to play. ..Then on the second-to-last day I was there, I walked by a pawnshop with an old EB-style bass of some sort in the window. I went in and mentioned to the guy about being bass-less and said "I probably could have made a deal with you to rent it for a week!". He said "sure, we probably could have worked something out for a few bucks a day for a few days". Dang.

See if you can get hold of one for a day or two.

Joe

5. Once I went bass-less for two whole weeks. I was miserable.

Rent a bass or something, or hang out at a local music store whenever possible.

6. Bassist519

Bassist519 Guest

Feb 6, 2003
    Albany,New York
    it might sound kindof weird but i just close my eyes and pretend like im palying scales and stuff and it usually helps my chops :D

7. kearney

kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    oh god so did i, i know how you feel, this year, im bringing my bass to camp!

8. Well, I'm off back home tommorow to ALL my gear :) Man, I'm gonna play so hard and so long...hehehe Well thanks for all the help :)

9. Might not last that long if you've lost all your callus' ;)

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    You dont loose your callus's man?

11. dodgy_ian

dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    it was only for three days over xmas that i went home but the bass came with me, hell yeah, don't go anywhere w/o that puppy. Sides someone might halfinch it ot summat whilst i'm away.

Couldn't get the double back as well tho :crying:

Ah well those who don't drive have to suffer the consequences I guess. BUT when i finally pass my test i'm buying a camper in which all my gear will be stowed and ready for service at a seconds notice!!!

Dodge

12. ampeglb100

ampeglb100

Oct 1, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Buy a travel bass or buy a crappy bolt on and take it apart and bring it with you. I take one or the other everywhere I go, plane train, automobile. It is very do-able if you plan it out.

Feed your addiction...

Andy

13. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Id love to have a bass for travel jamming
    And I often miss my bass at school so I start rubbing my thumd on my fretoing hand against teh callouses on the fingers(Its a wierd habbit of mine). I can never get quite used to having these callouses!!

14. It's kind of funny watching peoples reactions when they hear my finger tips CLICK on my desk.

15. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Slap a table :)

16. I've slapped the side of a table before!! While my other hand was practicing chromatic paterns on the top hehe.

17. One thing that I do is carry a plastic water bottle you know the pump water bottle that shops sell or anything similar and hold your fretting hand on the water bottle as if you were holding a Bass like your thumb is opposite your four fingers then imagine in your mind your fretboard and play scales in your mind and move each finger accordingly as if you were playing the bass
    But be warned in public places it's not a good thing because people may look at you weird :D

18. frobie

frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    *overnights my backup bass to bassline deluxe

19. frobie

frobie

Jan 7, 2005
    deluxe -e