1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going custom need advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Stingray, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Stingray

Stingray

May 12, 2000
    Ok, ive decided that if i'm ever going to play another bass outside of my wick its going to be of my own design (well more or less).

Heres the things im set on:

Fender J bass body - Swamp Ash
    P bass Neck - Birdseye maple

actually i'm not really set on the necktype either, ive been practicing double thumbing on my 5 string FNA jazzman (nut with of about 1-5/8"), and i just need more width between the string, since im going for a 4 string bass im not sure if 1-1/2" will do it or if i should go extra wide to the 1-11/16"

Heres my main dilemma, Pickups I love the sounds of the musicman and the jbass, so my first thought bridge- MM pick up, Neck j bass pick up (most likely bass lines). Has anyone tried this (and might possibly have sound clips for reference)

*side note: i will be designing the preamp, so the sound may even be irrelevant but my goal will be to tweak it to what i think is the best middle ground between the two.

Sorry to be long winded