Going DI without Direct Output (HA2000)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pyridon, Feb 4, 2006.

1. pyridon

Dec 16, 2003
    I'm currently using Hartke's HA2000 head and Hartke's 2.5XL cabinet with an Ibanez SR 600 MOL.

relevant HA2000 specifications:
    - effect return jack (1/4” unbalanced)
    - effect send jack (1/4” unbalanced)
    - 2 speaker outputs (unbalanced 1/4” jacks, 4/8/16 ohm)
    - no direct output

My question:

Personally, I don't like plugging in my bass directly (i.e. pre-amp, pre-eq) into the PA's DI box. Whenever playing on stage with PA, I prefer the mic in front of my cab over the DI box.
    However, as mentionned frequently in this forum, PAs aren't always equally keen on micing the cabinet... some times because of inadequate equipment, other times because of lack of creativity, and other times because of being impossible due to undesired feedback.

In case I have to use a DI box, what are the possibilities with my current bass/amp/cab, keeping in mind that I would like to keep as much of the amp/cab sound going through to the PA board (and keeping in mind that my amp doesn't provide a direct out).

Can the effect/return be used to plug into a DI box?
    Can the speaker output jacks be used to plug into a DI box?
    Any other solutions?
    And is it preferable to purchase my own DI box, or would the DI-boxes from a standard PA suffice?

Many thanks,

Wouter (Belgium)
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Getting the actual tone that you hear through your speakers via a DI isn't possible, since the response of your speakers colors the tone at least as much as, if not more than, the amp. So-called amp emulation circuits work by doing the same thing electronically that your speakers do acoustically, which is to reduce the highs and lows and accentuate the mids, but they are very imprecise. Personally I wouldn't be concerned, because even if you send a mic'ed signal to the board what it's going to sound like out front is 100% dependant on what the FOH engineer does with it.
  3. Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    1. Yup

2. Some, check for 'speaker inputs' these will come with a wattage rating. See the Avalon U5 for an idea.

3. Buy a mic and offer the sound guy an xlr out from that, doesn't solve the feedback issues though. Alternatively, a combined preamp/DI (sansamp, hartke attack pedal/mxr m-80) will provide a balanced XLR out and tone shaping possibilities to remove that dry 'straight to pa' sound that obviously isn't your bag.

4. Depends, most soundguys around here use Behringer boxes. As such I use either my amp DI or the aforementioned MXR M-80.
  4. pyridon

Dec 16, 2003
  5. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I agree that the effects out from the HA2000 can be used to feed a direct line in on the board. I used to do that from my HA2000 head prior to finding salvation in the form of a Sadowsky outboard preamp / DI