Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going Direct from Mesa 400+ (Need Help)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Oct 20, 2003.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I tried going direct last night and could not figure out why I was not getting any signal into my bands recorder. I used an XLR line from the input on the back of my head straight into the recorder, but again, had no luck getting a signal.

I then downloaded the Mesa 400+ manual where the above quote is from. Unfortunatley, I cannot figure out what it means when they say the "signal is taken from the speaker jack"

2. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    C'mon Mesa 400 players. Somebody had to go direct with their head before for recording.

Anybody?

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Did you have the standby on? My Buster is set up the same way, and won't send any signal to the DI until the standby is switched off.

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I had this problem with hooking a mike up to an Eon, then to the board. The sound guy said it was probably the XLR input jack wiring. 1/3/G, 3/1/G, etc. I never got it figured out.

5. OH MY GOD!
    DON'T TURN ON THE 400+ UNLESS YOU HAVE A LOAD ON THE AMP, MEANING PLUGGED INTO A SPEAKER CAB !!!! YOU MUST HAVE A LOAD ON THE AMP OR YOU COULD DAMAGE THE OUTPUT TRANSFORMER AND PROBALBLY YOUR EXPENSIVE TUBES TOO. I PRETTY SURE IT STATES THAT IN THE MANUAL.

6. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I did have the standby on, but that engaged the speaker and still did not send a signal to the recorder. We wnat to run silent in the room, except for our headphones.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Thanks for the warning, but I was hooked up to the my speaker cabinet. Somehow, I thought if I hooked up the XLR from the rear of the head, the sound would be diverted from the speaker to the recorder. But, I get nothing.

8. Then you're SOL, unless you've got a dummy load. The DI doesn't disable the speaker and if it did, you'd fry the amp. I don't know what's going on with your DI, but I want to make it clear that you can't do what you're suggesting.

9. ostrzoskrzydly

ostrzoskrzydly

Jul 1, 2003
    just mike it.
    you'll get a better sound like that anyway.

10. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Does this have the slave out option? Also, be sure the channel your patching to on the recorder is working properly, IE: not muted, not padded, being routed properly, etc.
    good luck!

11. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Quote from the downloadable manual: "The slave system is an adjustable Direct Output that can be used to feed a mixing board or power amp." so you CAN use it for the same as the XLR. Get your sound with slave at zero, then turn the slave level until you get proper outout. As stated, Use a load resistor,(Speaker), or you will wreck your amp.