Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going Direct or Mic an Amp - which is better?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by voionmaa, Apr 3, 2002.

1. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    trying to get a heavier sound to my rig. Trying to decide whether I need to get an Amp/Speaker Cab or just some new pre-amp/effects.

Currently run into a great PA system direct with an Aguilar DB659 and DBX 160A compressor. To "Nice" sounding. Looking at getting some other equip to get a dirtier sound. Any Suggestions. some have suggested getting a big amp/cab and mic-ing that. Really don't want all that stage noise.

Any suggestions? Currently borrowing a BassPOD and like it. See there are other options like Sans Amp DDDI, Digitech, and Boss stuff as well. Wanted to see if I could incorporate my Aguilar in the system as it cost a lot of money.

Can you run the Aguilar and BassPOD together? One review indicated having a tube pre ampo before the POD was a good idea.

thanks
    mark

2. mixing the mike'd signal with the line-out signal gives the best result for recording... :)

3. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Pretty much decided going direct is the way to go in the live setting I play. Really just trying to get a great bass sound to the FOH system.

Have had several suggestions. Some have suggested a SansAmp BDDI over the BassPod. Any thoughts? Also, any other suggestions?

If I decide on the BassPOD, should I run a tube preamp/direct box before or after in order to improve the sound?

If anyone has a better idea, please give me your thoughts.

thanks
    mark

4. off to Recording Gear and Equipment...

5. well dont jump just yet Bigfeet this could be an effects topic just yet

if you want to dirty up your sound a bit i would recommend a Fulltone Bass Drive. I set mine so the first cahnnel is just barely dirty... just a little bit of overdrive to thicken up my sound. I use it almost as much as my clean tone. Then you can kick in full overdriven fury with a press of the second button. Its also full bypass, hand built, and all around ass kicking :eek: ;)

buy it...
    oh and i like to go both direct from my GK and also mic'n it up. Great tone.

6. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    I was actually trying to figure out a new set-up for my live sound. Wanted to seek opinions on whether or not there is a major difference between the sound sent to the FOH micing an amp or running direct from a Bass POD.

Please assume you have a great sound system, sound person, and monitor system.

Just interested in the actual sound sent to the board. Any thought??

7. I'm actually going to dump this one off to Amps since it's asking for live sound, and not neccessarily what kind of effect to use.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I usually run 2 signals to the board, 1 from the direct out on my SVT4Pro, and the other from a miked cabinet. The soundguy then does what he needs to with them, blends them to whichever gives the best sound. In some venues, he has just used one signal or the other, in others, a blend of the two has came up with the best sound.

9. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Here are my thoughts. Sound starts at the Bass. So, what are you using and what p/u's are you using? I run all EMG's. These create a nice hot signal and are a great start. Most times, live, the sound man will make a funny face when you ask about miking a bass cab. You're at their mercy then and most won't even bother. Those that do have junk mikes and all you get is a big mess. In a studio situation I have run both direct and miked cabs. The engineer usually ends up trashing the miked feed in favor of the direct. I also own the SSBDDI. Really, IMHO, it's not the answer. I'm not sure what sound you're going for but you may find it in the Boss Overdriver or the Fulltone as the other person suggested. I remeber reading that POD (the band) used the POD as part of the recording process. I have no experience with it. If it works for you I guess you answered your own question. I also remember that the bassist from POD split his signal a bunch of ways and then blended everything. I even think the engineer on that recording (Satelite) modified a speaker and used it as a mike to mike the bass cab. Really what you end up hearing can be an odd mix and hard to duplicate. I feel your pain I'm currently experiencing growing pains with my current amp and sound.

Good luck.

10. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I just ran a test on mic'd .vs. direct because the music director of my band has been hounding me about mic'ing the cab for live shows. To test it, we went to the studio and recorded the bass using the DI from my Kern IP-777 and a couple of differenc mics we had, (a condensor and large diagram). The mics weren't particularly terrific, but they sufficed for the test. Also, I used straight bass, then with several effects including synth, overdrive, fuzz, chorus, delay, and auto-wah. Both inputs got the wet signal. The cab was a SWR Megaliath 8x10 which was powered by an Aguilar DB 728 tube amp.

Conclusion: The DI had more note definition, more bottom, and more top. The mic sound was fuller, and warmer. The only place where the mic definitely sounded better than direct was when I used any type fo distortion. The direct sound was harsh and buzzy. The mic'd sound was warm and full. This sounded really nice for fuzz. I think the best sound came when we mixed both, but with the DI sound much lower in the mix.

So I have decided to look for a good mic. I may try using the DI in my Retropec Squeeze Box. It is a tube compressor pedal with tube DI. It is the first thing in the chain. This way I can get clean bass in the DI sound, and use the mic for the wet sound.

11. voionmaa

voionmaa Guest

Apr 3, 2002
    Decided to go with a BassPOD for now. I am getting some really good sounds from it. I like the idea of being able to get multiple amp/speaker sounds. I am also looking at sending two signals back to the board, the "modeled sound" and a straight DI sound. This way the sound person can mix both.

Currently using a Washburn XB925 with Bartollini P/U's. Like the real round sound of them vs EMG, which I think tend to be more harsh.

Any other thoughts?????. By the way, I am probably in the market to sell my Aguilar DB659 pre-amp if anyone is interested. I bought it in Nov 2000 and it has been in a rack ever since. In great shape.