Going Direct

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bpritchard, Mar 24, 2021.

1. How did y’all get your guitar players to give up their tube amps to go direct into the PA? The most common excuse I hear is, “I can’t get proper sound without pushing my tubes.”

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I didn't. They did what they wanted. As long as the volume was balanced onstage and not loud enough to get us canned, I was fine with it. And the ones who had to push tubes either used pedals for a lot of it or they played smaller and quieter amps they could push hard and not get any flack about it. Did work a few gigs a couple years ago with no amp, and in ears with no monitors, and the guitarist still mic'ed a tiny tube amp very quietly but sounded awesome in the PA.

How do you get a guitarist to convert? Either they have to want to do it, or you have to have desirable gigs that require ampless setups. Some embrace it, some don't. But money has traditionally been the best motivator for those who don't like it.

agedhorse, bpritchard and TomB like this.
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    No problem as long as its something like a 22W Deluxe Reverb. Unfortunately many of them want to run a 100W head and aim the speaker anywhere except where they are standing.

Let's make a deal, if you want to run 100 watt guitar amp, aim it at your head and I will agree to it. If you don't want to hear it either, then the decision is unanimous and you need to bring a smaller amp.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    bpritchard and René_Julien like this.
  4. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    bpritchard and René_Julien like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021