1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

going fretless? im confused

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous_111514, Oct 25, 2006.

1. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I want to go fretless with either fret marks or not but alas, my left handedness is telling me I cant. I basically am looking for a fretless neck to go on my MIM jazz bass any help? also what exactly goes into putting on a new neck? I know i have to drill wholes but what else? sorry for the noob questions :bag:

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Hi and welcome to Talk Bass! FWIW I have played bass for a long time and only recently played my first fretless acoustic. It had dots but no fret lines and I was pleasantly pleased that I actually could play it. So for me dots would be important but not fret lines. You should try both before you decide.
    Can't help with the neck replacement. :)

3. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Try www.warmoth.com for a replacement neck.

Playing an unlined fretless isn't so bad if it has side dots. I mean with a lined fingerboard the lines aren't always spot on anyway, so you should be using your ears. Muscle memory helps a lot.