going fretless? im confused

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by anonymous_111514, Oct 25, 2006.

1. anonymous_111514

anonymous_111514 Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    I want to go fretless with either fret marks or not but alas, my left handedness is telling me I cant. I basically am looking for a fretless neck to go on my MIM jazz bass any help? also what exactly goes into putting on a new neck? I know i have to drill wholes but what else? sorry for the noob questions :bag:

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Hi and welcome to Talk Bass! FWIW I have played bass for a long time and only recently played my first fretless acoustic. It had dots but no fret lines and I was pleasantly pleased that I actually could play it. So for me dots would be important but not fret lines. You should try both before you decide.
    Can't help with the neck replacement. :)

3. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Try www.warmoth.com for a replacement neck.

Playing an unlined fretless isn't so bad if it has side dots. I mean with a lined fingerboard the lines aren't always spot on anyway, so you should be using your ears. Muscle memory helps a lot.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021