Going Fretless

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Biggus_Reddus, Jun 4, 2003.

1. I have a really cool late70's fretless P-Bass without fretmarkers(of coarse). I'm having trouble with doublestops and intonation(technique not equipment) past the 12th fret. Any suggestions on what to work on.
  2. One way to do this is to check with open strings; if you are playing a high A on the G string check it with the open A and make sure they are in tune, do this whenever possible. Also use harmonics (on "frets" 12, 16, 17, 19) to check where you are. Practicing scales is also a good way to get the feel of each possition.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    play one note of the double stop and sing the other, first. then try it in reverse... Then try to sing a whole scale around the double stop.
  4. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My suggestion: Play the part on a fretted bass a few times to get it into your ear. THEN play it on fretless, and let your ears guide your fingers. Switch basses back and forth a few times. The idea is to use your EARS to play. It's the only way.

Doublestops on fretless are not kid stuff. You just have to keep hitting them until you can get them in tune. It's about muscle memory, and your ear, and PRACTICE. It will take time, but you'll get there.

Have fun!
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well as already said... practice, practice, practice

Checking against open strings is good, try to incorporate open strings in the exercise for reference

Playing slowly with a good tuner connected can also be of help while practicing