Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

going from 5 string to 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I haven't been playing bass all that long and I started out on fivers and have had a couple now. So far I haven't really liked the sound of the B string too much with any of the basses or string sets I've tried, so I put on a set tuned E-C yesterday. JOY! Well ok it was a bit of a pain because I had to drop the E string to D about half the time, but still had (to me) a better overall sound than the same thing played on the B string. A Hipshot D-tuner probably would suit me fine. I sorta kinda like the C string since I do use it a bit and being able to reach more notes in the open position is handy. The C sounds very good and even which was a bit of a surprise. I expected it to be a lot thinner and twangy sounding but it's really not. Even so, I could stand to play those notes on the G just fine too. That being the case, why even bother with the extra weight, neck size, and string expense? I think the 4 string basses are a little cheaper in the first place too aren't they?

So what to look for? I've had Ibanez all the way so far, EDB690, EDB605, BTB405 and would like to try another brand. Maybe something more traditional sounding if that makes sense. Like a PJ type setup probably or anything that could give a halfway decent Ric type sound as well as a smooth thump. What would be a good one for playing covers ranging from Yes to Pink Floyd to REM? Not really to *nail* the sounds of any of them, but to be reasonably close. I never have been a fan of Fender products, though I did buy a Strat a few years ago that is a great guitar so I don't know what my problem is there. I tried the Spectors (fivers, hadn't been thinking about 4's at the time) at Guitar Center but didn't really like them too much. Maybe the body feels too small or something. Don't care for the look of the Bongos and that's probably more than I'll spend anyway. I'd guess I may spend up to about $800 and would like to buy new if I can get something decent for that money. I've been buying my stuff used so far and have done fine with that but somehow it always seems instruments are passed along because they lack something somewhere and never really get loved.

So what would be some things to watch for in a lovable $800.00 4 string?

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  3. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Very nice bigbeefdog!

I suppose I should have found that by searching but it's kind of difficult when you're not sure of exactly what it is you're looking for. That link looks very helpful to me.
    Thanks

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    And now you say "What's the best bass under a grand?"

And now we say "New or used?"

And now you say "______" new

And now we say "Four five or six strings?"

And now you say "______" four

And now we say "P style, J style, MM, or Soapbars?"

And now you say "______" any

And now we say "What style of music do you play most?"

And now you say "________" classic and alternative rock

And now we say "Do you want to be able to play it first?"

And you say "______" would be nice but not essential

I just thought I'd start this form for use in this and the myriad similar posts that arise regularly on TB.

Thanks for the handy form Dr. PhunkyPants!

5. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Hello, again!
    Check out that Washburn T24 in the link. I'll sell you mine for $300. It just never gets playing time because I have so many 4 stringers.

6. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    Well, look around enough and you could get a ric4001 for $800 :D! Not sure how much Gibson EB-0's are going for, but those are drastically different that Ibanez's you've used ^_^.

7. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I'll be looking around at the big guitar show in Arlington next weekend. How many basses do you think you could reasonably check out in a day at the show? I'm thinking >all< of them isn't going to be a reasonable answer so here we are thinning out the herd a bit.
    Thanks to you all I have a better idea of what to look for now.