Going from 5 to 4...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Nov 11, 2003.

1. I'm getting rid of the fifth string for good! Dumping my Washburn Lyon for a Jazz Bass. I am just in doubt if I buy an used Fender MIM or a brand new Tagima...

I think the fifth string is pretty much worthless... I never use it... only as a thumb support! :D

If I ~ever~ need a lower D... it's so easy to just lower the E string...

And it makes thumb-muting more complicated... my finger resists to lay down on 3 strings at once!
  2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    :confused: Uh, what??? Why did you even buy a 5-stringer if you didn't ever use the B? I mean, there are 24 more notes that you can play, and from the 5th fret on, theres the same notes as on E. Hm...

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Achilles, how long have you been playing bass?
  4. I play for about 3 years only... why?

Hey it's not "24 more notes" I can play with a 5-string. It's only 5 more. I dunno... I bough this bass because it was the best offer I could get at the time... 500 dollars I think... used. It ~has~ a good sound but after trying a four-string I realized I feel more confortable with it.
  5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Well, ok, i'll take your 5 more notes. But then i'll add you that on a 4 you get 16 notes in one position (4 frets) on the neck, and on a 5 you get 20 ;);).
  6. But I really never use those 5 extra low notes...

I know it's fairly strange to go from a 5 to a 4-string bass and not the opposite but... that B string always make me pay about 10-20 bucks more on a set of strings!

7. cods

Sep 16, 2003
    you should put a high c on it.
  8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man... Do EADGC??? Why not.
  9. I just want to say, good for you, man! Who needs that low B anyways? I sure don't. :D :bassist:
  10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    get a 7! you'll have 28 notes under your hand at any given time, maybe an 8! (32 notes) 9? (36) 10! (40!!!)
  11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Uh, yeah alright. I never said I needed it. :spit: :mad: . I said why did he buy a 5-stringer if he doesn't use the B. I don't need it, nobody need's it, I just like it ;).
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Don't sweat it man! There's nothing wrong with going from a 5 to a 4. I have both again, and I just recently went back to 4's, and WOW! It's fun again! It's better to be good on 4 than below average on a 5.
  13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    It's better to be good than below average, period. Strings don't matter THAT much.
  14. I would suggest an MIM Jazz Bass, simply because the tone is versatile.

What is your price range?

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Very true, but I have seen many bands where the bass player has a 5 and he just can't handle it. Specificly on muting the B. IMO, it's easier to control string muting on a 4, which is why I prefer to do tapping parts on one.
  16. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I play a 6-string and would never go back to a 4 (and probably not a 5) since I like flexibility in my hand position.

Having said that, the Fender MIM varies a lot from bass-to-bass. I'm not familiar with the other brand, but it's probably best in this price range to play the actual bass you're getting in the store - that way, you know what you're getting. Some MIMs are great (ignoring fretwork), some not-so-great. Quality-control in this price-range varies considerably.

There's also "brand-name recognition". Some will judge you by the brand, and resale is also affected.
  17. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    After 5+ years of playing 5-string I'm going back to a four. I've played 4 for about 25 years and never really adapted to the 5. I found that, while I liked to use the low notes and I liked the increased fingering flexibility the 4-string is just more fun to play. It's like driving a sports car after driving the SUV. It also helps me play more tastefully as I focus more on the simple things instead of jumping 2 octaves for the "look at me" effect. I also had a problem of my plucking fingers whapping into the B after playing the E. It's an audible clack/thud that is noticable if you listen for it. It's all personal style and taste of course. I dig others playing 5s, I just need a break from it (maybe a long break...).
  18. I came back to four also. I have a Drop Detuner on all my basses and I like the open notes more of a four string. God Bless all you guys with more than four, what ever works for you. My picture still has my five string on it.....
  19. I was wondering about a Mexican Fender. But this Tagima is also very good... I dunno.
  20. I never heard of this Tagima....can you enlighten me........Please?