Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going from 5 to 4...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Achilles LS, Nov 11, 2003.

1. I'm getting rid of the fifth string for good! Dumping my Washburn Lyon for a Jazz Bass. I am just in doubt if I buy an used Fender MIM or a brand new Tagima...

(...)

I think the fifth string is pretty much worthless... I never use it... only as a thumb support! :D

If I ~ever~ need a lower D... it's so easy to just lower the E string...

And it makes thumb-muting more complicated... my finger resists to lay down on 3 strings at once!

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    :confused: Uh, what??? Why did you even buy a 5-stringer if you didn't ever use the B? I mean, there are 24 more notes that you can play, and from the 5th fret on, theres the same notes as on E. Hm...

:oops:

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Achilles, how long have you been playing bass?

4. I play for about 3 years only... why?

(...)

Hey it's not "24 more notes" I can play with a 5-string. It's only 5 more. I dunno... I bough this bass because it was the best offer I could get at the time... 500 dollars I think... used. It ~has~ a good sound but after trying a four-string I realized I feel more confortable with it.

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Well, ok, i'll take your 5 more notes. But then i'll add you that on a 4 you get 16 notes in one position (4 frets) on the neck, and on a 5 you get 20 ;);).

6. But I really never use those 5 extra low notes...

I know it's fairly strange to go from a 5 to a 4-string bass and not the opposite but... that B string always make me pay about 10-20 bucks more on a set of strings!

:rolleyes:

7. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    you should put a high c on it.

8. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man... Do EADGC??? Why not.

9. I just want to say, good for you, man! Who needs that low B anyways? I sure don't. :D :bassist:

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    get a 7! you'll have 28 notes under your hand at any given time, maybe an 8! (32 notes) 9? (36) 10! (40!!!)

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Uh, yeah alright. I never said I needed it. :spit: :mad: . I said why did he buy a 5-stringer if he doesn't use the B. I don't need it, nobody need's it, I just like it ;).

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Don't sweat it man! There's nothing wrong with going from a 5 to a 4. I have both again, and I just recently went back to 4's, and WOW! It's fun again! It's better to be good on 4 than below average on a 5.

13. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    It's better to be good than below average, period. Strings don't matter THAT much.

14. I would suggest an MIM Jazz Bass, simply because the tone is versatile.

What is your price range?

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Very true, but I have seen many bands where the bass player has a 5 and he just can't handle it. Specificly on muting the B. IMO, it's easier to control string muting on a 4, which is why I prefer to do tapping parts on one.

16. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I play a 6-string and would never go back to a 4 (and probably not a 5) since I like flexibility in my hand position.

Having said that, the Fender MIM varies a lot from bass-to-bass. I'm not familiar with the other brand, but it's probably best in this price range to play the actual bass you're getting in the store - that way, you know what you're getting. Some MIMs are great (ignoring fretwork), some not-so-great. Quality-control in this price-range varies considerably.

There's also "brand-name recognition". Some will judge you by the brand, and resale is also affected.

17. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    After 5+ years of playing 5-string I'm going back to a four. I've played 4 for about 25 years and never really adapted to the 5. I found that, while I liked to use the low notes and I liked the increased fingering flexibility the 4-string is just more fun to play. It's like driving a sports car after driving the SUV. It also helps me play more tastefully as I focus more on the simple things instead of jumping 2 octaves for the "look at me" effect. I also had a problem of my plucking fingers whapping into the B after playing the E. It's an audible clack/thud that is noticable if you listen for it. It's all personal style and taste of course. I dig others playing 5s, I just need a break from it (maybe a long break...).

18. I came back to four also. I have a Drop Detuner on all my basses and I like the open notes more of a four string. God Bless all you guys with more than four, what ever works for you. My picture still has my five string on it.....

19. I was wondering about a Mexican Fender. But this Tagima is also very good... I dunno.

20. I never heard of this Tagima....can you enlighten me........Please?

[​IMG]
    Treena