going from 9 to 18 volts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Magneto, May 26, 2005.

1. Hi.. I have an ESP LTD F-204.. 3-band (EMG B-64) EQ preamp, EMG 35HZ p'ups powered by 9 volts...

I was reading the manual and spec sheet for the B-64 preamp, and it mentioned that 18 v is recommended for best performance without distortion.

I was thinking about adding another 9v in series to my rig , as it appears to have enough room to secure the second battery. I've noticed that I don't get much life out of a fresh Energizer battery, and even though the battery isn't dead after a couple of weeks ( I play alot), when it begins to drain, I can clearly notice a lack of presence and punch, even some output drop.

I'd wonder if any advantages would be obtained by increasing to 18v. Any opinions??

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Well, if you wire a new battery in series with the "old one", you will get twice the voltage, i.e 18 volts, but the batteries would drain just as fast.

My solution to you would be wiring a new battery in *paralell* with the other one, that way you could go twice as long before having to change them! :)

I'm not sure if i completely misread your question, but anyway!
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The advantages of going to 18v are usually a more open tone and more headroom. Depending on the circuit, there may be longer battery life I suppose, but that's not normally cited as one of the benefits.

If you want to try out an 18v circuit just for kicks, the easiest way is to get three (yes, 3) 9v battery jacks and wire them all in series in a loop. Then you can plug two batteries into two of the jacks, and use the third jack to plug the whole thing into the existing battery jack. Pretty cool, huh?

4. I'm most definately going to try this. I've already bought the parts and will test the mod after today's gig.. A search of this forum found me this link

Just gotta double check all my wiring to make sure I don't get anything criss-crossed. I'm eager to test.. Thanks for your help..

5. After further review of the wiring diagram at the site, I noticed a difference between my wiring idea (fig B) and the one shown at the info site (fig A).

Am I wrong? Doesn't the clip's negative go to the first batt's negative, then the positive from that batt goes to the negative on the second batt, and then positive from the second batt go to the positive on the clip? Like flashlight batteries, right?

In the Fig A, it shows positive going to negative all the way around. This doesn't seem right. Advice needed..

6. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    When I did it, I went positive to negative all the way around, just like diagram A. The reason you don't have to reverse it in the harness is because the clip itself does that--the negative side of the clip in your harness goes into the positive side of the clip in your bass, and vice versa...

7. Yup, have the right idea, you have to be careful cause the 1 9v battery clip is simulating a battery, not a battery clip, so its black wire has to be positive, and its red wire negative for the clip that becomes the logical 18v battery. Essentially the one clip is "hoe-moe-sexshool" and wants to mate with the battery clip in the bass, instead of mating with the battery as God intended.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

But since you're going in series, red wire goes to black wire to connect the batteries in series, and continuing on red to black also reverses the polarity of the last clip. So just go red to black in a circle and you'll be fine.

The other 2 battery clips are battery clips, the third battery clip is used as a battery, which essentially flips the polarity automatically.

Slick idea though, Mikezimmerman, great way to try it without modding the exisint wiring. You're my hero!

So figure A is what you want.
  8. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I can't claim credit for it--I heard about it on TBL just like Mark (the guy who put up the diagrams) did, way back when dinosaurs ruled the earth...

9. Thanks a bunch for the "heads-up"..

I see what ya mean now..and I was looking at the wiring the complicated way.. I'll get it right..
    Gonna replace the el-cheapo clip in my bass with one of the better ones I have here as well...

Thanks again..
  10. Well.. I got the harness made and tested with 18 volts. It seems to make a nice difference, and the output seems stronger as well.. I noticed a difference immediately. The sound seems quicker and even punchier. I'll have to do some serious testing at band practice tomorrow, as I only have my practice speakers here.
    Here's the specs in case anyone is interested:

ESP LTD F-204
    EMG 35HZ p'ups
    EMG B-64 active 3-band EQ
    18volt using the 3-way battery harness.

I had just enough room for the extra battery. I made a quick rubber battery bag for the second battery, and rerouted wiring to suite. Nice and snug, but not too tight. Everything insulated..