Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going from 9V to 18V on EMG PJ set (active)!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jeebo, Jul 27, 2004.

1. jeebo

jeebo

Jul 27, 2004
    Hi
    I am interested how it will affect sound on my PJ set.

2. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There really is no way to know without trying it out. What I recommend is getting 3 battery clips and wiring them as an adapter to connect two 9-volt batteries to your existing battery clip.

If you have a battery box instead of clip, then it will get trickier.

3. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I recently went to 18v on my set. What I noticed is not so much a change in the sound as a more open sound that increased headroom gives. I don't ususally have the bass turned up very much, rarely half way so as not to overdrive the preamp (I hate using the pad). I like the clean punchy sound that EMG's provide.

For my style of playing this has not been a huge change or improvement - it's a subtle difference to me, and the bass sounded good before I did it. You may get more out of it with your style. Give it a go.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    do it. it's easy and it helps.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you just have the pickup set, and no onboard preamp, I'd say the difference will be minimal. If you had a preamp, then 18v gives you more headroom for boosting.

6. I just did it to my PJ set and I noticed an improvement in clarity and dynamics. The difference wasn't huge but enough for it to be worth it.

7. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    for a $1.25, it's worth it.

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    Not true. The EMG pickups are active pickups, whether you're using an active preamp or not. The additional voltage will make a notable difference in the headroom and "open-ness" of their active pickups whether you have an active EMG pre or not.

I've personally upgraded several sets of "naked" EMG's to 18v. It made a difference on every one of them. Have you ever done the 18v upgrade?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mgollihur/emgmod.html

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've tried it several times myself, and I could tell no difference on a regular set of emg pickups with v/v/t controls between 9v and 18v. If you noticed a difference, great, but I didn't - couldn't hear it through an amp or recorded (I did before and after comparisons).

When using emg's with a preamp with eq boosting controls, there was a noticable increase in headroom between 9/18v as I would have expected.

10. jeebo

jeebo

Jul 27, 2004
    Finally instaled another batery. I don't have onboard preamp and I'm using passive wiring which come with EMG PJ set.
    After doing A-B test(9V-18V) I've concluded that MuzikMan is right. Also noticed slight gain up with 18V but is not dramatical. For price of 2eur it worth it! ;)