1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going from a 212 to 210's (Eden/Aguilar content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Konquest, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Right now I rock a Navigator with WT1000 through an Aggie gs212. I love the head and run it basically flat, only really tweaking the knob on the power amp that compensates for the "boominess" of the room it's in. I have been looking at switching to a pair of 210's for the following reasons:

1: more punch and snap to cut through, gs212 is not known as a modern rock cab.
    2. versatility with the features of the head vs. a standalone cab.
    3. Leaving one at rehearsal space, one at home, and get them together when it needs to be loud.
    4. Aesthetics: Eden cabs with Eden head.

Now the questions:

1. Should I go for 2 4 ohm cabs and run them separate channels? OR
    2. 2 8 ohm cabs bridged to 4 ohms? People with experience here let me know how i'd hook up the cabs for bridged 4 ohm, since the only way to run it this way is with banana plugs...do Eden cabs have both or only speakon? Is there such thing as banana to speakon?

3. Should I go for two xlt's or an xlt/xst stack? (anyone with experience with either chime in here) OR
    4. Would a D115xlt under or on top of the 210xlt/xst be the ticket instead (these are a lot easier to find and less expensive than a 210xst).

Any advice is appreciated.

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I'd try EQing in the punch and snap, personally. I've tried the Eden rack with GS 12s and it sounds really good to me.

If you're going to swap out, I'd go with 8 ohm XLTs (just in case you want to add a third one at some point). Or go for my personal favorite Eden rig, a 4 ohm 410XLT and an 8 ohm 210XLT, run stereo off the WT-1000. Leave the 410 at the practice space and take the 210 with you.

3. Looks like you didn't get much a response here. I had a pair of 210XST's and while they sound great, I personally wanted more girth in lows--my experience with them on a 5-string previously and now 4-string tuned DGCF was they handle it if you don't simultaneously push a lot of bass EQ at high volume, which for most folks should not be a problem (anything short of "extreme dub" should be fine).

I think the 210XST benefits from being matched up with something other than another 210XST, a 210XLT is an option as well as 12's or 15's. A pair of the 210XST's is too "modern" or "hi fi" for me--very sweet and detailed for notes that are above the lowest octave on the bass.

Personally I was looking for a little more girth in the lows needing to EQ for it, so I swapped a 210XST for a 215XLT. 210XST+215XLT is a great combo. Volume is no issue for that setup (I run an Eden WT800 with them). A ridiculously loud rock band I was just in took only about a 1/3 or so of it's volume capability. The loudness isn't the selling point, the versatility is. Never short on dB's, and because these cabs are so efficient, they had a lot of headroom for adjustments in sound without giving anything up or ever approaching a limit. One cool feature of that setup is you can balance overall tone by balancing the output of each of the cabs for your liking, for instance I use the two power sections of the WT-800 to feed each cabinet separately. Outdoors, an even 50/50 mix is perfect for me--I think the 15's are better at maintaining a thick bass sound outdoors, so there is less of a difference with that setup. Indoors depending on the room, I tended to back off of the 215 a little usually. It is nice to not struggle for volume.

The only downside to the 215 is size and weight. With my SUV and my hand truck, this is not a problem at the moment, but it appears work will take me on a series of short term re-locations. As much as I hate to do it, I will be swapping the 215 for a 212 shortly based on a few living space and mobility challenges (for starters, the 215 will not fit in the 2-seater...)

4. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had a pair of 210XLT's for a couple of years and thought they were great sounding cabs. I was playing in a Blues/Rock band with a loud drummer, two guitars and a harmonica player so I had to have good mids to cut through. I also use five strings and I never had a problem getting deep lows or hearing myself on stage, I think the mids are great. The only downside for me was they weighed 68lbs apeice and hauling two to every gig was too much a pain for me. I did use just one at some smaller bar gigs and it worked real well but using two together was just killer and the low end seemed to really come through better. I'd say if you can stand the weight it would cut much better and give you more headroom than the Aggie.