1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going from a Digitech Bad Monkey to...what?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Zooski, Mar 5, 2008.

1. I've had my bad monkey for a good couple of months now and I like it just fine, but I feel like there's a better overdrive pedal out there for me. I feel like a need a tiny bit more grit or overdrive a bit sooner and also a more full, meaty tone. The BM sounds kind of cold and weak to me. So I ask, whats the next natural progression from the BM that can do this?

2. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I got a Bad Monkey in the mail today and I'm really impressed with it. If you need more, have you tried just supplying it with more gain on the input?

I've never heard an overdrive put out so much bottom end for such a low price - it's an awesome bass pedal IMHO. Mine's in a loop with a bunch of octavers and filters, so depending on what I've got switched on it sometimes gets a much hotter signal, and it creams itself when you supply a high gain input.

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Do you have the Bad Monkey or the modded Badder Monkey?

4. I have the Bad Monkey. And dont get me wrong, its a great pedal. Im just wondering how I could upgrade from it.

5. Yea, i guess mine would sound much different with a hotter signal. Im using a passive P-bass, so not much gain is going into it.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    i have the modded version and I think it's sweet for the price!

7. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Bad Monkey circuitry almost identical to that of the Tube Screamer, thus producing a similar sound (but with less drive in the case of the BM)?

If I were you, I'd at least see about trying out a TS. The more expensive ones that is, I'm not sure if the cheaper tone-lok model will be any good.

EDIT: I should also add, that a lot of bassist who use the Tube Screamer, use it in a loop blended with their clean signal, or a seperate effects signal altogether (in a dual amp setup), from what I've heard it can suck out the low end a bit.

8. ChocolateTV

ChocolateTV

Sep 23, 2006
    I think the Bad Monkey's a great pedal. I went from that to a Barber L.T.D. Special Recipe and it's even better (though a fair bit more expensive). If you want more drive than the Bad Monkey, then the Barber's probably not for you. But if you're happy with the amount of gain available then I think the Barber's an even nicer sounding unit (though make sure you adjust the internal trimpots).