1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

going from active to passive?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassartist, Feb 24, 2008.

1. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Hi guys, I'm a frequent lurker out here but seldom post. Appreciate the amount of information found here. I have an active American Deluxe Jazz. I would love to explore a good passive bass and have been jonesing for a Lakland DJ. The older ones have rave reviews featuring the Aero pups. I was wondering if anyone has put them in an Am Dlx. Is this even feasible, being active? Before I chunk down some money for the DJ, I thought about modding my Fender with the Aeros. Whaddya think?

2. in the Fender, the pickups are passive, with an active preamp. So you can stick any passive pickups in there, and they will work. You can also remove the preamp and the pickups will still work on their own. The confusion that most people make is whether the pickups are active, or it has a preamp that is battery powered. Hope this helps

3. FYI, 95% of basses have passive pickups, active normally refers to the pre-amp.

4. Coeball

Coeball

Aug 25, 2007
    UK
    So that means even if the battery dies they will still work?

5. depends on the design. If there is a bypass switch, most probably yes, but some keep the preamp as an integral part of the circuit, so when the battery dies, the preamp cuts the signal anyway.

6. The Fender Jaguar has a bypass/changing switch. its amazing.

7. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Carvin has had the active/passive preamp for about 10 years. I switched my full time active pre out for the active/passive. I found I much preferred the passive tone and use it exclusively. With the Carvin pre you can adjust the active output to match the passive output. Plenty of other preamps will do the same thing.

8. Aeros are some of the best pups made. Jsut bought a JO5 ( skyline), adn while the oem pups give a good vintage tone, I want the clarity and easy highs of the Aeros. Should be here in a few days, and i'll do an A/B.

BTW, have had two active basses and realized that the oem jazz controls and my figners were all I needed to hit near any tone. Only issue was a live gig where they had me runnign thorugh 50'+ of cable. There I was glad for the pre. Next time I'll tell them to make it 10' or color me gone.

9. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Hmm.. that makes sense. I wasn't thinking so much about about the preamp. But would I be able to get the volume, volume, tone option since it currently has pup blend, bass, trebel and mid knobs?

10. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Back to my original question, has anyone ever put Aeros in an Am Dlx Jazz? How difficult is it to bypass the preamp and go passive, what about the volume and tone knob difference?

11. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    if you want to make it a passive bass, just wire a new harness. remove the current wiring but keep it intact in case you want to return the bass to stock. if you're not able to do it yourself, most repair shops will rewire a bass for about $60 or so.