1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going from active to passive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoshuaTSP, Oct 7, 2010.

1. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    Seems impossible? :confused:

2. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Get a preamp that can go passive with a push pull knob.

3. Your thread just doesn't make sense bro. It is especially proposterous to those of us that went from active to passive, or play both depending on the style of music and what best suits that style. I don't get it I guess.

4. I've gone out of my way to make some of my basses passive.

+1 with faulkner,your post makes no sense.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I agree.

6. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If you mean the transitional process, personally, I'm going through a "Passive phase" myself, after 13 years of active EQ spoiledness. The 1985 Ibanez Roadstar II I just bought is taking up all of my play time, at practice and gigs.
    But... I now want a Musician for the Active EQ.

If you mean the process of ridding a bass of active controls in favor of passive, it's very possible and can be enjoyable. With the extra holes, you can add switches to give you more tone options. I love switches.
    BONUS WITH THAT, as well: The battery compartment can hold your stash! :bag:

7. I have an active bass. It gets the least amount of play.

8. SnakeKappele

SnakeKappele

Sep 20, 2010
    I'm active while I run around all day and then I'm passive when I get home and pop in a movie.

Seems simple enough to me. :)

9. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    How is it impossible? Are you referring to adapting/keeping your tone/playing style or actually converting a bass from active to passive? Neither seem impossible to me.

10. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    I have both, i like both! It all depends what i'm playing?

11. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    The passive switch doesnt work on his bass?

12. Passive rocks, hate active!

13. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I've been using active basses almost exclusively for a couple years now......

....playing a passive bass seems so.....2 dimensional and wimpy.

Making tone changes on the amp...... pffffft!!!! :(

14. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    uh-oh.

15. Basshoofd

Basshoofd

Jan 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    It's a valid point. Basically going from active to passive is reducing your options, though a lot of people don't think those options are neccesary. If you like the versatility, why would you go passive if I may ask? I like active basses but I do understand the love for 'set and forget' of passive ones.

16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    All my basses are active. I like to be able to change my tone completely without touching the amp.

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm a set it and forget it type of active bass player. :D

I mostly just like to goose the low end a little.

I started with passive basses, and hated the tone of the active basses I tried. Upgraded my amp and cab, and all of sudden my passive basses weren't sounding all that great.
    Just this past week I changed up my amp situation, and now my active basses aren't sounding right. :eyebrow:

...but what about losing the organic tone of a passive bass?

18. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    I went from active to passive when the bass I fell in love with only had passive EQ and I couldn't afford a pre-amp at the time. So I plaid it until I could afford the pre. Never did find a reason to put one in.

Tube amp + Passive EQ = Me happy.

Then again, I'm in my 40's now. Maybe I'm just going through a mid life crisis. I did just buy a Warwick Rock bass!! Maybe I'll get a red corvette next week!

19. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I'll have none of that hippie mumbo jumbo.

Seriously, the last passive bass I had was roundabout 1998. It was a 4-string Ibanez TR2 with a PJ pickup configuration. It sounded...well, like just about every other PJ bass out there. If I wanted something different, I had to go to the amp.

20. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I am like you, my friend! I have been using the active and love it... still do. My AmDlxJazzV with East preamp slays all it encounters. Then, at practice, I had to play through an old Sunn amp and 1x15 and all of the sudden, active mode sounded terrible. Flipped to passive, much better.
    Then, I start messing with passive basses and now, I like them.

The secret? SERIES/PARALLEL SWITCH

It's like a bass boost, but passive. It makes all the sense I need for a lot of situations.
    Try it, see if it does what you need. But don't get rid of the active. You will still need that some day.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021