1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going from Flexocor to Spiros

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Danko, Mar 30, 2006.

1. I had Flexocor on my bass, and have been pretty happy with the feel, volume and tone so far. Now switchig to spiros (just orderred a set) because Flexs have become all thumpy on me. (they are more than 3 years in use now)

Switching to Spiros for two reasons:
    1. To see for myself why they are labelled as "THE jazz strings".
    2. Because they are a bit cheaper than flex's.

What can I expect tonewise, feelwise and volumewise?

Ah, yes... both orchestral and both medium, so I guess no big diff in tension. :)

Danko

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Never played Flexocores, but lots of Spiros on lots of basses. I think you can safely expect the following:

-Lots of growlll, plenty sustain. kind of a midrangey sound, sort of a "modern" pizz sound. Very bright at first, then they fatten up as time passes.

-I like how they feel...smooth and refined. They feel "well made" to me. I've gone on to different strings now, so they feel a bit spindly to me, but you can adjust to that.

-Arco is good after breaking them in. Some people find them to be scratchy, but I think they do fine.

-Volume is not as big as some of the other choices out there, in my experience, but that depends a lot on the individual player, the bass, and the setup.

-They will last forever. Very hard to kill Spiros. They also stay in tune very well in my experience.

I consider them one of the great bargains in the DB string world. I've tried a lot of strings, but I always have a set of Spiros in the drawer if I need them. I can toss 'em on, and I know the bass will sound great.