1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going from guitar to bass

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by confuoco, Oct 10, 2013.

1. confuoco

confuoco

Sep 24, 2013
    Ok,
    So I have been playing music for 6 years now. I have a degree in classical guitar performance from a university and have my grade 8 from the Royal Conservatory of Canada. I also play guitar in a big band and also a small jazz trio. I have however decided that I am finished with the guitar - I really want to play bass. I started to teach myself walking lines on the guitar to accompany myself and now that's all I want to play. I do however want to play electric bass, but I came to the double bass forum because I have basically zero interest in rock, metal, etc and there seems to be a lot of that in the other forum.
    I've gathered from this site that the Simandl method is a good way to start and build technique, but what Im really looking for is a good walking bass instruction book. I live WAY up north in Canada and there isn't really any options for finding a teacher here.
    Any suggestions? Comments?

2. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    While at Berklee in the 90s i found myself playing bass in a couple rock bands because few berklee bassists at the time wanted to play that stuff. I ended up really enjoying playing bass, and took a few labs with Jim Stinett and Danny Morris. Jims book "Creating Jazz Bass Lines" was really helpful from a conceptual standpoint. That book and transcribing some Paul Chambers, and I learned how to walk pretty convincingly. Playing bass and my improved understanding of the rhythm sections and more attention to having good time has REALLY helped my guitar playing (Danny Mo's M.O. was groove and feel). Good luck!

3. dtsamples

dtsamples Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Wilmington, DE
    I second that, Triple Double. OP, Berklee offers online courses in bass. There's a jazz bass course based on Jim's book mentioned above. You submit graded recorded assignments and watch video lessons, engage in video chats. It's good continuing education if you're willing to spend the $1k+ on the course.

4. Building Walking Bass Lines by Ed Friedland.

BTW I think your assessment that the bass guitar forum is all about rock and metal is inaccurate.

5. confuoco

confuoco

Sep 24, 2013
    I didn't say it was "all" about rock and metal. I just feel that double bass players generally study differently and eventually Id like to make the move to double bass.
    I downloaded both Jim's and Ed's books. They book look good, and very similar. I guess Ill just pick one and stick with it for a while. Between that and the Simandl method I should be busy for a while.

6. Another book I could recommend is The Evolving Bassist by Rufus Reid. It's written about double bass but well regarded by electric players.