Going from Mesa Bass 400 to Solid State (GBE)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jul 8, 2008.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Recently I discovered a new level of ultimate tone by running my Sansamp BDDI through the Effects Loop on my Mesa Bass 400. It's a gnarly aggressive metal tone that makes my B string sound truly explosive. My only complaint is that, as is, it is too aggressive for the tapping I do in the higher octaves.

I've been considering moving to solid state for a while- less hastle, no worries about super expensive tube replacements, etc.

Would a GBE 750/1200 combined with other technologies like a Sansamp BDDI (effects loop perhaps) or Big Muff thrown in somewhere provide similar grit? I believe both these heads have fairly flexible pedal boards- with two channels I could dial in a mellow clean tone for tapping.

2. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I went from a bass 400 to a LMKII and now I'm looking at some hybrid mesa gear. It was really nice to go from all that weight to something so light, clear, and powerful. When I got the LMKII I was in a bar cover band playing a lot of standard bar songs and a lot of jazz stuff at school. It worked really well for that... but now I'm not doing either of those and looking to get back into the ballsier sound of some tubes.

I say try it. You may like it, you may not. Chances are you probably will. Take a look at some hybrid heads other than Genz Benz too. They are great, but like I like to say... when you're going to drop that much money on something, you should play around and find exactly what you like.

Also, if you want to add some more grit, I'd look at some better pedals than those. They're both good pedals, but I don't like the tone suck of the sansamp, and I wasn't too crazy of my big muff. There are some other pedals out there that cost a little more, but will give you a much better and convincing overdrive. Tons of threads about that stuff over in effects...

Best of luck on your search!

Edit: Nice cab set up! How do you like the 410 with the 212? I have the 212 and I'm deciding on what cab to get in addition to it. You really should look at some more mesa products and keep it all mesa ;).

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    I've thought of going for a high powered SS Mesa head, but I think the GBE products have a little better value for the money on the used market.

The PH 4x10 is an awesome cab. It is quite a bit heavier (35 lbs) than the 2x12, but a bit louder.

4. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Yeah the GBE heads are great. The 1200 is AMAZING. It's brutally loud... Tons of flexibility. The LEDs look awesome too.

Too many channels and blending for my liking though. With the right player though, it could really be a powerful tool.

5. +1 on a Hybrid with the Sans Amp BDDI

6. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I love my 1200. It is easy to use once you spend some time with it

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I loves me some all tube goodtimes, but some of these newer hybrids are just too feakin' badass for words. +1 on a Mesa hybrid, prolly BB750 or Titan, but from what I've read around here, those Genz heads are up there too. I like simplicity, but whatever floats your boat. You gonna keep the Mesa head, or trade it off? One thing I'm glad I did was keep my Ampeg head after I got other types of amps, always nice to go back and compare.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021