1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going from vintage tube to modern preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sunnpeg, Mar 14, 2008.

1. My V4-B finally blew a power transformer. Methinks it's time for a more modern (and professional?) tone. Perhaps a Navigator, or a Kern, or a Demeter, or an Alembic?

I play a variety of basses including a Jazz, a Precision, and Fretless with round-wounds, flat-wounds and nylons.

This is a really tough decision. What makes it more difficult is that nobody in my vicinity carries this stuff.

Any thoughts before a "pull the trigger"?

2. There are a number of really nice hybrid heads that would give you some tube warmth but be simple, all in one units like your V4-B.

For relatively clean but tube warm tones that are tight rather than bloomy, the Genz Benz (the little 600 watt 4 pound Shuttle 6.0 is getting a lot of raves) and Eden Heads come to mind (WT400/800/1205). The new Mesa Fathom is supposed to be very nice, and voiced tubey but still tight and clean.

For clean but VERY tubey, big deep bloomy tones, the Aguilar DB750 and Mesa MPulse600 are pretty cool.

And, for all out snarl, some of the Ampeg hybrid heads and the Mesa BB750 and 1200 seem to do the job for most.

IMO.