Going headless

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kenson, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Kenson

Kenson

Apr 27, 2017
    Willard, MO
    Hi all. I know there are a bunch of threads for this subject, but having a little hard time trying to find what I'm looking for. If you know if a thread that touches on this question please post it

So, I've decided to go in ears strictly for a couple of churches I play bass at. One I've been going headless since day one, but just bass to di (no preamp) and the other I've been using a first gen ba-210 direct out to the board. I've found a new love for tube tone since I purchased my v4b. I run in clean normally and nothing seems to match that other than the amp/cab it self.

The preamp I've been eyeing is the Ampeg SCR DI. I've also considered the VT bass di. I saw a few videos of the Noble di and was sold! But I can't and won't spend $1000 for it. Seems over priced to me. Call me crazy

I however found the Shift Line OLYMPIC MkIIIS. This looks and sounds good with the grind. But haven't heard much of the clean tone. The Noble and the rest of the preamps that I have listed do clean. I'm shooting for the Olympic, but it really comes down to
    a) can it should clean and tuby like an ampeg?
    b) can I make the eq sound like an ampeg or am I barking up the wrong tree with this pre

2. Kenson

Kenson

Apr 27, 2017
    Willard, MO
    No body?

jnewmark likes this.
  3. I am happy with the Tech 21 VT DI. Works great at Ampeg tones and didn’t break the bank.

Kenson likes this.
  4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    While not quite in the Ampeg tone universe, I use the Mesa preamp/DI for in-ears gigs and like the tone/feel a lot. The Tech21 stuff is closer to the Ampeg vibe, but I prefer the Mesa for my uses - YMMV.

Kenson likes this.
  5. TrentB

TrentB

Aug 10, 2010
    Orange County, Ca
    I have the Olympic MKIII and I run it totally clean. It only overdrives if you turn the gain up quite a bit. I had the VTDI previously which was great but I think The Olympic sounds even better. My main amp is an SVT CL so I try to get that tone with the Olympic. It gets pretty close. It’s my favorite preamp so far and I’ve tried quite a few. I’ve never tried the SCR DI though.

Kenson likes this.
  6. Kenson

Kenson

Apr 27, 2017
    Willard, MO
    So it does clean? Every video I saw was total grit and metal. Do you run it with the power supply provided or do you have a chain?

Also, have you thought about changing the tube ?

7. TrentB

TrentB

Aug 10, 2010
    Orange County, Ca
    It totally clean! A nice tubey clean. I do use the provided power supply. I wasn’t sure if I could daisy chain it with my normal one spot. Never thought about changing the tube since I don’t use it for overdrive, I use other pedals for that.

Kenson likes this.
  8. Kenson

Kenson

Apr 27, 2017
    Willard, MO
    Sounds good! Do you play passive or active basses through it?

9. TrentB

TrentB

Aug 10, 2010
    Orange County, Ca
    Both actually. Fender Am Original P Bass and new Stingray Special. I turn the gain down with the Stingray because the output is so hot. It’s still clean though.

Kenson likes this.
  10. Kenson

Kenson

Apr 27, 2017
    Willard, MO
    Right on! I think after my in ear funds this will be the ticket. Thanks!