Going Insane

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbirduser, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Thunderbirduser

Thunderbirduser

Oct 13, 2009
    Help Me out here guys, I think I'm going insane but this is what's happening:

I just bought a squier mustang bass with the hope of this bass, BEING THE GOOD ONE! and it turns out it isn't. What is the problem?

Well this strange noise that happens when I play the open E string and play the first three frets that is NOT fret buzz, it might be something else i dunno. It only happens when I play unplugged by the way, usually I don't play much with the amp unless it's for a gig or band practice and well I'm bothered, the same thing happened with my squier precision bass and i think it might be happening with my jay turser jazz bass.

I tried everything, with these three basses, adjusting them, setting them up, getting them set up by a "pro" and I'm still unhappy. Sure I could always play with the amp, but that is not the point. Maybe because I'm such a control freak, I just want things to be perfect so it brings peace of mind. But I'm seriously dissapointed. It almost makes me want to switch to keyboards or stop playing music altogether.

Something that I think is stupid because I'm pretty sure musicians back in the day didn't have the privileges I have of owning not one but 3 basses! It's the person not the tool that makes the magic. I simply want that tool to be perfect and sound perfect either unplugged or plugged. And when the bass is plugged is fine!

And when it is unplugged well the E string Open or fretted on the first three frets makes this no normal noise, sure the note E sounds, but not without some "over - resonance" to go along with it.

Tips, suggestions, comments?

:help:

2. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Id like to offer some helpful tips, but I think it may have something to do with your technique - i mean its highly unlikely that all three of your basses have the same "problem".

It may be advisable for you to consult with a technique tutor and maybe he could sort out whats going on. Best of luck..

3. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    In my opinion I would rather own one really good bass than three cheapo Squiers.
    I would sell the three and then go cash in pocket and start playing basses until I found one I really liked that was great quality. After all you can only play one at a time.
    I recently bought a second bass just to have it but for quite a few years the only bass I had was a Modulus Q4. It cost a lot, but its a great bass and I would be just fine with only the one.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to both above, the buzzing is most likely an issue of playing technique, and ONE really good bass beats three cheap ones, imo, and ime.

5. I'll save you lot's of heartache, there are no perfect basses, and certainly none that sound perfect, plain and simple, even if you make it yourself, it can't and won't happen, sorry.

If there was the perfect bass and perfect sound this place wouldn't even exist! :)

You are your own trouble, especially if you have taken them in for a pro setup.

Sorry about that, I call them as I see them.
    Good luck,
    Dirk

6. pringlw

pringlw

Nov 22, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Well, I don't know if this is your problem - but I can tell you about a mystery buzz I had once - and what it finally was.

I had a weird rattly sound. It sounded a little like fret buzz, but faster and more metallic. It happened when I played certain strings and certain notes on those strings. I was convinced that I had a truss rod rattle.

Anyway, after a whole lot of messing around I figured out what it was.

I was resting my thumb on the E or A strings when I played the D or G. When I started to dig in - I was pushing down ever so slightly on the E or A with my thumb. Then the vibrational frequencies of the bass would cause the E or A string to resonate - at which point it would rattle on the frets.

Once I figured out what it was, I adjusted my technique. It was the weirdest thing though. I had luthiers watch me play -and they would hear the rattle too - and even they couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Can't remember how I finally figured it out.

7. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Do you use straplocks? If you play unplugged and with the bass on your lap, sometimes the lower strings will cause the inner workings of the straplocks to vibrate around. It can be maddening to figure out. Just put your finger on the straplocks to hold them in place and see if that makes it any better.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021