1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going into the studio with a bass that the producer has never seen before...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by knarleybass, Feb 26, 2008.

1. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    So,
    starting in April I am going to be playing bass on my friend's record, he has an extremely impressive home studio, and has hired a producer (I will not say the name, but he is legendary).
    I am having anxiety about the project, I want to bring in my Wal, Benavente and my Low End jazz for the recording, but I get the feeling that the producer is going to look at my basses, (they all have more than 4 strings) and say that they are not going to work, they are not 4 string fender basses from the 60's, and they need flatwound strings, and why don't you have a fliptop? I know I can get any sound out of the basses that I normally play, in a way I feel like an idiot for even worrying about this. I should just go and get an old Hofner with flats and a p-bass, or better yet just sublet the gig to a bass player with those basses.
    Is this normal, do they really look at your gear and decide from there weather if you are going to work out or not? I have no track record, no metal plated records to hang on my wall, am I making more out of this than I should?

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I've never worked with a producer. A small time engineer I worked with just plugged my bass into the board, noodled with some knobs and said lets go. I thought the sound was great.

I imagine your friend hired said producer because he wants that producer's sound. If this guy is a "legend" then he has probably seen and heard it all. If he is isn't open-minded enough to work with what you've got which is some great sounding basses for sure, then perhaps a different "legend" is in order. Perhaps someone not so "legendary" :D

3. Were you invited to play by your friend? Your friend hired the producer, so your friend is the boss, and the producer is working for him. I assume your friend wants you to play your own instruments on his record?

4. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I work for a producer, 100 million plus sold... if they sound good, which they will do, it'll be fine, you're worrying about nothing... I'm sure he'll listen before he makes a judgement... is the producer also the engineer? Usually the producer is more about performance than sound if he's not the engineer...

5. knarleybass

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Thanks for all the support,
    for this project the producer will be engineering, at least that is what they tell me, that can change.

6. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    most engineers I know, and I've worked with some biggies, will be excited to work with gear they're not used to... new basses and guitars makes their job interesting and they get to learn new stuff... can't imagine a decent engineer or producer turning his nose up to a nice Wal...

7. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Seriously, Knarley, don't you play for Dread Zep? :eyebrow:
    That band, despite the hilarity, is pretty tight and solid. Any producer should be honored to work with you. IMO.

8. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    If he does I'll be mighty impressed! Dread Zep are a good band.

9. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Check Knarley's profile.

10. knarleybass

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    thanks for the kind words... The last few Dread records I was the producer, needless to say I had all the freedom to do what ever I wanted, I guess I am a little gun shy about not having that freedom.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    :eek: Cool!

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The producer is willing to work in a guys home studio; I don't think he's going to be as hung up on equipment as you fear.

13. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Slap him across the mouth and say "THIS IS FOR THE AZORES!"

That'll loosen him up.

Or his bowels.

14. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    If it really bothers you, you could always ask him what he prefers and find out what his mindset is. You need to be comfortable in the studio, so any excess worrying will affect your playing.

I actually had one producer try to talk be out of using a 1965 J with flats that was sitting in the studio. I ended up using it on 2 tracks and it sounded great, but the point is, everyone is different.

15. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I think that stereotype applies more to a young pop/rock/one hit wonder type band. The producer gets paid oodles to just go in and make this band an instant hit. They know itll be alot quicker and easier just to use something that works. I think first off, your going to get more respect than you think, you do have quite a large following. In one of my music class in australia the teacher did an hour long lecture just on your band. Second, your friend hired this producer, not the label or A&R, the producer has to default to your friend. I'm sure itll be your friends call.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

They're amazing, they should feel honoured to get to work with one!

17. Right.. definitely so. I seriously doubt that your fears will be realized. This 'famous' Producer will probably not even bat an eye at your nice bass selection. You were hired to play, so learn those charts and play.. full steam ahead!! ;)

18. knarleybass

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    I am off for pre production rehearsal today, thanks for all the support. ultimately I think I need to be more focused on the music and less on the gear.

19. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    You could always distract him with a sexy asian chick.

20. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Have Tortelvis give him the claw.