Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going off to war

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Yep, I'm off to war today. Be back on Sunday.

No really. I'm participating in a big SCA war, the War of Acorns. About 1000-1500 are going to be there, maybe 300 in combat. I will be going as an archer, so I get to kill MANY people.:D

Now, don't go thinking that there will be mass graves or anything. This is all very safe, no one every gets badly hurt. Really.:D

So, I'm off. Someone watch Pickups for me, and maybe on Monday I will get a few pics in of me kicking a$$.

Rock on
    Eric

2. *salutes* Have a great time eric. War games are always fun. except for the time you snipe someone with a b.b. gun right at thier.. *cough* well, i'll talk about that later.

3. a WHAT ?

is that one of those rainesanse (sp?) fairs ?

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Do you mean "Renaissance" - in the UK I think we call them "historical societies" if we're thinking of the same thing?

5. Go now, my lad. For the glory of TalkBass! :D

Have fun Eric.

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey! another ren faire geek! right ON. i used to get my sca ON as a heavy lister down in orlando. Trimaris, i mean...hee hee and then back home in south carolina (atlantia) i was a member of the shire of border vale keep. fun stuff...nothing like donning the leather armour and throwing on my raven armouries stormbringer replica...:D heck, i need to get back into that. the last time i put my armour on was about 40 pounds and 3 inches ago.

7. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Holy Sh*t, that sounds like FUN!. I want to do that. Hey Neptoon, there's one in SC? sweet...I want to whip some a*s...hehe

8. Good-bye boys... have fun storming the castle.

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Who says we're not desensitized to violence and death?

:D :D :D

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yes, south carolina is contained within the kingdom of atlantia..here is a link for you to be able to find out what specific area you are under the cognizance of...being originally from barnwell, sc, i was in the incipient canton of ritterwald...and yes, they are fun...you just can't roll up to a ren faire with a sword, though...that's one of the peerages that you earn *becoming a knight and such* the swords that are used in fighting are almost always made of rattan. but yeah, check it out...most fun indeed...especially if you have a grrlyfriend that will go with you in "wench" garb...i can't think of many things sexier than a good looking woman wearing a corset. ;)

link

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, no doubt, except maybe the few minutes later when the corset pops off! :D

my wife has a few and she never can seem to keep it on. obviously we don't go out much with her in corsetry. :D

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Remember the Cleveland Housewives Historical Society's reinactment of the battle of Pearl Harbour? ;)

13. YEA!! Ren Fairs! I was just at the annual one a few weeks ago, picked up a new scimitar...

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    :eek:

john, you know it can go the other way, too...a woman can go down several sizes by putting one of things on...so fellas, if you roll up to a nice looking lady wearing a corset, and you don't know her previously...you may want to stand back several feet when said lady comes out of this thing...god only knows what sort of cottage cheese mess may come barrelling out at you. :eek: i shudder to think...

15. me too...

16. I'll watch it for ya... because I'm a cowar... uh... I mean... because I have to defend the homefront *salutes*:rolleyes: :D

17. I did one of those things once. Kinda, except I was the only one with a sword. And instead of storming a castle I stormed a grocery store. And I went to jail afterwords. So i guess i haven't really done what your doing this weekend. Have fun raping (sp?) and pillaging.

18. Don't die too much......:confused:

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    SCA people scare me...

20. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

you know what....the vast majority of them scare me too....kinda like the d&d freaks and the magic: the gathering freaks. and some trekkies. it's fun to dress up and use a different name and wear 17th century garb at a ren faire, but when people just can't leave that stuff behind them where it belongs....that's where you can seperate the weirdos from the _real_weirdos_. :D me? i'm just a weirdo.