Going on the road with kids at home

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ASR, Apr 16, 2001.

1. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Forgive me if this is not the right category for this thread.

I have just joined a working band that is planning on touring through Texas and Louisiana later in the summer. My problem is that I have a 6 year old son at home. My girlfriend is very good and helps me out with him (I have custody of him) but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation, and if so, how you dealt with it. I want to make a career of music, but I don't know how to balance that with a family life. Anyone else who has been in this situation and could give me some advice?
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Maybe thats not quite comparable but my girlfriend, who is 15 (I`m 16) is not very much into music (listens to all this hip-hop ... ;) ) was in about the same situation when I had three weeks of gigs when we had vacation, and I was around in germany. I took her with me, and she had a lot of fun with me and the other guys. I don´t know if that helps because a 6 year old boy is something different....
    Maybe your Girlfriend could come to some shows with him ?

I would say just call him up often, show him that you care about him, and he will be happy.

Or what are his interests ? Does he somehow think music is cool ? If yes, maybe show him some things, take him to a music store or something. Maybe this will be interesting for him and you will be sharing something you both are interested in.

If you are planning a career of music, then you will have to do everything for him, because I think the most important thing is family (from my point of view), music / work is second...
    Keep that in mind and do your best to see him as often as you can !