Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going on the road with kids at home

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ASR, Apr 16, 2001.

1. ASR

ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Forgive me if this is not the right category for this thread.

I have just joined a working band that is planning on touring through Texas and Louisiana later in the summer. My problem is that I have a 6 year old son at home. My girlfriend is very good and helps me out with him (I have custody of him) but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this situation, and if so, how you dealt with it. I want to make a career of music, but I don't know how to balance that with a family life. Anyone else who has been in this situation and could give me some advice?

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Maybe thats not quite comparable but my girlfriend, who is 15 (I`m 16) is not very much into music (listens to all this hip-hop ... ;) ) was in about the same situation when I had three weeks of gigs when we had vacation, and I was around in germany. I took her with me, and she had a lot of fun with me and the other guys. I don´t know if that helps because a 6 year old boy is something different....
    Maybe your Girlfriend could come to some shows with him ?

I would say just call him up often, show him that you care about him, and he will be happy.

Or what are his interests ? Does he somehow think music is cool ? If yes, maybe show him some things, take him to a music store or something. Maybe this will be interesting for him and you will be sharing something you both are interested in.

If you are planning a career of music, then you will have to do everything for him, because I think the most important thing is family (from my point of view), music / work is second...
    Keep that in mind and do your best to see him as often as you can !

David