1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going on Tour for the First Time - Tips

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by whoatherechunk, Apr 23, 2010.

1. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    So I'm going on a two week tour for my first time ....any tips?

The tentative route is: Tuscon, Phoenix, San Diego, Riverside, Salt Lake City, Denver, Albuquerque, El Paso, San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Denton, and Lubbock.

-Check the Van ( this isn't a nice mini van or a new Suburban...its an 85 Chevy G30 so I'll definitely have to get it checked out to avoid anything breaking down)
    - Merch (EP, stickers, pins, shirts)
    - Extra Equipment (strings, picks, cables, etc)
    - Clothes ( two pairs of pants, a few shirts, lots of socks and undies)
    - Cash
    - Items to keep me distracted/kill time on the road

I know I'm probably missing a few things but based on the experiences you guys have had what would you recommend as in do's/dont's.

Thanks guys!

2. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    This exact topic is covered in at least 3 other threads.

I'm a search nazi.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  4. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    haha thanks guys! sorry about that. mods just delete this or something haha.

5. Hell no! This thread is destined for greatness.

6. guns and ammo....;).....seriously tho a van full of gear is a tempting target....have you considered how secure all the places you are going will be

7. jetlaggemini

jetlaggemini

Jun 3, 2009
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, GHS, Dunlop, DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan
    You have everything you need to come back. Everything else you need to know you'll learn on the road. Oh and buy a GPS, don't bother printing maps, it's such a pain in the a$$.

8. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Backup amp head

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    get those purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets. Put some in a ziplock bag (you can actually cut them in half longways--there's enough soap), and put them in your suitcase or what ever you're using. Better than paying through the nose at a motel for soap. This way, you keep your other clothes smelling nice, and they take up no room at all. Go to Dollar Tree and pick up a sudoku and xword puzzles (you should never have to pay more than a dollar for these btw). Headphones, splitter, a movie to watch on a laptop?

10. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm going to take a multi-tool....i suppose that can double as a weapon if i ever needed it for protection.

11. TigerClaw

TigerClaw

Sep 12, 2009
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Guns are a horrible idea. Just use common sense and nothing bad will happen. Bring flip flops, because getting in and out of the van and putting on shoes gets old real quick and I recommend Gold Bond powder.

12. Bassman822

Bassman822

Sep 1, 2007
    Bessemer, AL
    Consider carrying a spare bass and head if room permits. Also, asprin/ tylenol, imonium, pepto-bismol, comdoms.

13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    A. Don't plan on making as much money as you think you will
    B. Have spares of anything you need to do the gig- strings, cords, bass, amp, cab. Don't need to be the same caliber of gear, but you gotta have something that'll work if your main bit of gear is toasted.
    C. Enhance your calm...
    D. Get some clothes that'll dry quickly. Wash 'em in the sink/tub, roll them up in a big towel to get most of the water out, and hang 'em up to dry. Only two pair of pants? I'm glad I'm not on tour with you.
    E. Vitamins- eating on the road is a PIA, and it's easy to get fatigued. Work to eat healthy, exercise, and take care of your health...
    F. ... speaking of which- STD can be a real problem
    G. Don't mess with the law in strange place, nor attract the attention of potential thieves. In the late '70s I did small tour, and the band wanted to put the name on the side of the van. I figured it'd be easier to just paint "STEAL THIS TRUCK" on one side, and "POLICE- PLEASE STOP THESE LONG-HAIRED SCRUFFY LOOKIN' DUDES AND LOOK FOR ILLICIT SUBSTANCES" on the other side.
    H. Plan extra time for getting bad directions, getting lost, road construction, and bad traffic.
    I. Enjoy the places you go to- no point getting the opportunity to visit San Antonio and not know any of the history. Trust me, 20 years from now you'll wish you'd taken advantage of this.

John

14. Here's a tip, you're going to come home broke.

15. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Bring a soldering iron, a drum key, and extra set of guitar strings and picks (for the guitar player). Plan on things breaking. Bring ear plugs for the stage and the hotel room (your roommate WILL snore). Don't drink too much or you'll be on the fast track to burning out. Try to eat as many fresh fruits and vegetables as you can. You will be sick and tired of everyone after a few days so bring some sort of distraction like a laptop that you can watch movies and not Dancing With The Stars like everyone else wants to watch. Scope out the couch at the hotel because you'll find yourself on it to get away from everyone.

Good luck.

16. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

...including body parts: Last time I toured the American midwest, I broke a finger while trying to relax with a pre-show pickup basketball game. Had to play four more shows with a broken middle finger on my plucking hand. Not fun.

17. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i'm expecting that hahaha

18. How long of a tour is this? Definitely get the van checked out. It might be worth it to rent a nice new Ford van or something; the van can be the most important and most overlooked aspect of the tour.

Bring a mini hand-held video camera or something. I know if it were my first tour, I would want to get a lot of video and such. A video blog, if you will. Everything else you need has been listed. Rock out man!!

19. Eat/drink the right things and bring strings.
    That is what I was told my first time.