Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going rate for 4 hour gig in Baltimore?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mwm70, Aug 29, 2005.

1. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Anyone know what the going rate is for a 9 to 1 gig in the Baltimore area?
    We are a NEW classic/modern rock/pop band and are starting to book for the next couple months. We have justed started playing out so we should be able to get friends and family to go (probably 50 people) until the novelty wears off. I know there are some guys here from Maryland, anyone with present gig experience?

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    From my experience, most gigs in the bars I play run from 10pm to 1:30am. Starting out I would think you could get $500-$600. If you have your own sound that's not too bad.
    On gigs where we use our little PA we try to get at least $600- $800. If we have to rent sound then we try to get $900. We play some gigs at $600 and some gigs we get up to $1200.
    Do you plan on going through an agency?

3. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    No, we are doing this primarily for fun. Some money will be nice but isn't the reason we started playing. We all have full time careers and young families so time is limited. My goal is one gig a month occasionally two. I ruined playing music once before by taking it too seriously, I don't want to do that again. I also do not want to take less than the going rate, since that could set a precedent which in turn could get us known as the band that drove down fees.

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    At this point if you can find a club in Baltimore that still hires bands I'll be most impressed. Almost everywhere I used to go for shows has switched to DJs exclusively. Back when there was live music around here most of the shows I went to ran from 9 to 1 but had 4 or 5 bands booked in that time paid around $100 each, unless you were a national act with label representation.

The only way I've seen to make money giging here is to rent the venue and promote the show yourself. If you can split the costs of the venue with a couple other acts you can usually break even if each act sells around 30-50 tickets. Profit comes from CDs and merch.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    This is true if you are doing original music. I play in a band that does mostly covers with a couple of originals thrown in.
    My band just played Loony's in Belair Friday night. I think they have bands every Friday and Saturday nights.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    It's tough getting a club to book a band 1st time around. If you guarantee them 50 people it'll be a lot easier. If you're actually going to BRING 50 people and can convince them it's true, you can reasonably ask for $400 to $600. In most places however you'll be lucky if you get them to agree to $300 when they don't know you. That's the lowest we'll currently take for a cover gig.

I'm in NY but we've done cover shows up and down the east coast and that seems to be the way it generally is.

7. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    We play mostly Northern AA county area. We get in the 450-650 range booking through an agent. Not many rooms in our area will book directly. Most of the places we play start 9 or 9:30 and go 4 hours. What is the name of your band ? Where have you played so far ?

8. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    2nd Time Around. www.2ndtimearound.biz

We have played two places so far. The Drydock at the Curtis Bay Shipyard and The First Friday event in Havre De Grace. We are doing the First Friday in Havre De Grace again this friday and have a date booked at Dock of The Bay in October. The first fridays we are doing for free for the experience and exposure. The guitar player, drummer and myself have been in gigging bands before. This is the singers first time in a band.

9. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you play "The First Friday" twice, does it still count as being first? :)

10. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    They only count on odd numbered months since 1 is an odd
    number. Even number months are looked at as not existing. :)

11. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    IME, $500 sounds about right for you guys.

12. I'm in Cecil County-next door to Havre de Grace. What's "First Friday?" I've never heard of it before.

In Cecil County cover bands are getting anywhere from $250-$500 a night, depending on the venue. Usually if you book a whole weekend (Fri. & Sat.) you take a deduction-like $100 off the total, that type of thing. The average for a regularly-gigging band is probably about $400 a night. :bassist:

Cecil County is big on *cough* country *cough* music. A good CW band can pretty much write their own ticket in Cecil County. :)

13. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    It is a city sponsored event to draw people back to the downtown area on the first friday of the month. Outdoor/sidewalk entertainment, car show etc. BelAir and Canton also have them. Nothing major, but it is an opportunity for us to gain some more live experience, tweak our PA and get our new sound guy some experience with us.
    Last one was a good time with a fair turnout.