1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going rate for 62/3 Fender Precision?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GeneralElectric, Sep 19, 2008.

1. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've got the current opportunity to pickup a 62/3 Fender Precision locally from a friend of a friend's father. I say 62/63 since everything dates from 1962 except for the neck which is January of 63.

Its in very great shape, sunburst, with only minor playing wear. However there is 2 pieces missing from the PG due to shrinking. Comes in the OHSC and the original reciept if the guy can find that too. He bought it new, played it through his teens till his mid 20s and gave up bass.

He's asking me $8000, I told him I thought that was too high. He said he had heard that vintage Fenders were going for thousands of dollars and often cost more than a new car.:meh:

Regardless, he agreed to let me find a fair price on this.

What do you think is fair? I don't want to rip this guy off, he seems like a nice enough guy, but I don't wanna be ripped off either.

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    That's not too bad for pre-CBS. The economy is going through a major adjustment right now, though, so it's very hard to tell, just because of current conditions. A few months ago, that would have been a fair price for only minor playing wear, all original, with the orig. case & receipt.

Edit: Just looked it up to double-check; Fjestad 2008 puts it at $6250-$7500 (1963) or $6500-$8k (1962) based on the condition you described. The case + receipt make it worth a little more. However, like I said, the economy has taken a dive since then. Does it have the chrome covers? I'm thinking more along the lines of $6k or $6.5, maybe up to $7k, would be more reasonable based on Fjestad.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Book-Ele...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1221870782&sr=1-1

Page 387

3. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    It doesn't have the covers, but it still has the screws.

The case is beat to sh!t but its still the original case. He might have the reciept, he's looking for it now.

Wear is really just a few tiny dings and dents and the spot by the PG where he rested his thumb has worn through the finish. Dunno if it went through the sealer or not.

4. Have you played it - is it worth the money - not all Vintage instruments are great. I have owned a 66 P-Bass, 64 Jazz and 65 Jazz. The 65 was the best of the bunch. ymmv.

$6000 - $8000 buys a lot of Bass and equipment.

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've played it and it sounds spectacular, and this is coming from a P-Bass guy. This is in the top 3 Precisions (of any maker) I've played a lot of vintage Fenders (though I've never owned one) and never really saw the appeal.

The other two are my 57 RI and a Pino Palladino CS P-Bass.

6. danster

danster

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    GOOD advice right here!

7. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Broken pickguard, and missing covers brings it down a bit. Maybe $5K IMO.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I got some cell phone pictures of it.

I'd rate this in very good condition for a 45 year old bass, but I just noticed that on the lower bout there is finish missing. (Body edge/side where the jack is)

There is a bass in similar condition (though the back of the bass thats local isn't nearly as bad!) online at a webstore for $6000
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would I be better off with this bass?

9. My gut tells me that you should try and buy it - but for less than he is asking. That is, only if you got the Coin.

If it sounds spectacular - then that is the qualifying event to seriously consider it IMO - sometimes you just know - what is your gut telling you?

One way to decide for sure is to try and get somewhere you can play some Custom P's and other Custom Basses and see if you still feel the same way after.

10. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    If they're asking $6K for that one with the covers, in similar conditinon, probably means it'll actually sell in the low/mid $5K range.

I'd show this ad to the seller of the bass you're interested in, and negotiate a $5K price given no covers, and broken p/g. Depending on how badly the p/g is broken, that can cost quite a bit of money to get an appropriate original to replace the brokent one.

11. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    The one online's pickguard has more wear and the pickguard is in a lot worse shape.

The one I'd be buying is a small piece by the output jack and another on the treble side horn.