Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going rate for a vintage SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mon Rominee, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Because I have one I might want to sell soon, I don't want to be deluded about price, and want to prepare for my next (lighter) amp purchase ('m thinking an Ashdown ABM500)

This is just for the head-unit.

It's a 76, just been cleaned, was retubed (svetlanas) and biased a year or so ago, and works great. Only things not original are the power on swich, and the electrical plug end (I installed a beefy, hospital-grade plug.

Thoughts???

Thanks!
    Mon

2. My son sold a 74 SVT head a few weeks ago for either $725 or $750. It had not been retubed and needed new Tolex and grill cloth. It also had big metal handles on the sides. One of the speaker jacks probably needed replacing also. The buyer was aware of all of these things.

My son said that SVTs in good condition were selling for over $900 on ebay and possibly more. His sold with a Buy It Now price within hours of listing it. Check completed ebay auctions for an idea of what the current selling prices are.

Those old SVTs are great sounding amps. It's too bad they weigh so dang much!

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I dont think a retube always makes it worth more too. Many people will pay more for one with the original tubes.

4. Funny that. Before I had it retubed, it DID have the original tubes. Or at least the correct Magnavox tubes. Unfortunately, one went south (bad power or something) and then I took the plunge. It actually sounds a bit punchier now....with that hint of blurry low-end that gets it rocking....

Anyone a fan of the ABM500? I have an EVO300 Combo right now that kills, but I needs more powah....

5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Thats assuming the original tubes are in good working condition of course...

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm a fan of Ashdown in general way.
    I had an ABM500, then I switched to a MAG300 when I decided to downgrade.

Cheers,
    JL

7. Yes.

There's one on Ebay right now that is in excess of 800 bucks. Mine is the exact same thing looks wise.

8. My son's amp had a mishmash of preamp tubes, including some Radio Shack. The power tubes were Groove Tubes. The graphics on the faceplate were pretty worn also. It still sold very quickly.

9. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING TO GET FOR IT....IVE BEEN WANTED TO PICK ONE UP....LET ME KNOW PLEASE....EMAIL ME

10. Ron,

I have heard your SVT and my advice is to hold onto it if you can. It's a sweetie and you may regret selling it!

My $. 02

Jeff