Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

going rate for yamaha rbx775

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by retitled, Apr 17, 2005.

1. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    whats the going rate for yamaha rbx775?

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    New? $00.00, as they were discontinued last Spring. ;) Used, I've seen them go for around the $250-$300 range on eBay, which wouldn't be much of a loss if you purchased one while they were being discounted, but a pretty big hit if you paid around $600 before the sale. If you can find a NOS or barely used one at the former price, you've got a good deal on your hands.

I'm simply glad I caught onto them before they disappeared - it's a great instrument for the price that just couldn't last at that pricepoint.

3. retitled

retitled

Feb 13, 2004
    forest hills
    i called up guitar center and they said they can get me a new one for $440 or something.. but when ever i search for it on line i keep getting these foreigh language sites and prices in the GBP or Euros or something.. ::sigh::

4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Unless GC has a hidden stock of NOS 775s, I think they're confusing them with the replacement 375s, which while being a better match for the price (before the 775 went on clearance) IMO isn't in the same "range" of instrument.

Doing a search I also see that (apparently) the 775 is still in production for Europe, but not certain Asian countries... I have no idea what that's about, but I think by the time you'd buy one at the current exchange rate ($787.65 including VAT) as well as shipping and any possible customs costs it's hardly worth it and brings you into a new "level" of instrument, price-wise. I'd say keep your eyes open on eBay - a good deal of people purchased them on clearance, found it didn't suit them, and have been trying to make their money back.

For example, here's the last finished auction for one: absolutely reasonable price considering it sold with a case as well. And the blue looks much better in person than it does photographed, with the bottom-left pic showing its true color. ;)

If you do a search you'll see I've talked these up, but for good reason IMO. They were great deals new and discontinued, and still great deals now "barely used" on eBay. I'm not your prototypical TB "buy, sell, buy, sell..." guy (for both financial reasons as well as lack of desire) and buying two of these were one of the best gear decisions I've made. I defretted one, and until I'm at the "Pedulla/Sadowsky/Custom bass" financial level I fully expect my two 775s to be my primary basses. :D

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.