Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

going rate on speaker re-coning

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gbenner, Aug 24, 2002.

1. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    I just found a tear on one of the speakers on my 4/10 cab. The cab is about 12 years old. Does anyone know the going rate to have an 10" speaker re-coned.

Does anyone Know an on-line dealer to buy replacement speakers

Thanks for any help you can offer.

George

2. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut

they sell great eminence speakers there.

hope it helps

pat

3. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Thanks for the reply's. Those prices on the Avatar speaker cab's look too gook to be true. I might replace my 4/10 with an Avatar 2/10, and just use the 4/10 for larger gigs.
    I called Orange County Speaker Repair and they only wanted 40 bucks to recone my speaker. I hope someone here in Jersey will match that price.

Thanks again.

George

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Check out WeberVST.com I've had them recone a pair of ancient ElectroVoice SRO 15s and they did a great job at a reasonable price.

I haven't looked lately but it's in the same price range that you quoted and they're in IN.

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My local recone guy does "generic" speakers for about $50 and "premium" speakers (EV,JBL, etc.) for about $100.

Rule of thumb is maybe 50% of what a new speaker would cost.

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    If the tear is small it can be fixed with superglue(crazyglue?) and tissue paper. Make a 'patch' from tissue paper. Apply the glue to the damaged area and apply the patch. I fixed a monitor this way.

BTW I got the tip from an article written by Ted Weber.

7. gbenner

gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    CS, its funny you posted this. I just finished doing that with 2 part epoxy and tissue paper. My brother-in-law suggested it. Hey so far so good. It sounds great. Worst case I get new speakers. Thanks for the reply.

George

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    In case you do eventually need a recone (or for anyone reading this) I highly reccommend Ted Weber. He just redid all 8 10's in my '76 SVT cab. Ted knows speakers like nobody else.

PS - Most reconers don't do a 'full' recone/restoration which includes demagging, cleaning, and remagging of the magnet. Weber does.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    You are welcome. You cannot really lose trying this method, unless you glue body parts together.

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I do the patch-o-rama with tissue and Sally Hansen's Hard as Nails nail polish. I use that particular brand because it has nylon in it and is flexible.

I paint a little polish on (I use clear, btw), add a single layer of tissue and paint over it. When that dries, I put on another coat of polish covering a slightly larger area.
    I usually do three or four coats, front and rear.

I did this on an EVM 15 that was basically destroyed...it now looks like Frankenspeaker but has held up surprisingly well is a way too loud rock/alternative band.

11. I have used silicone adhesive caulk to repair tears and never had a problem.