1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going sharp?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by qcbassman, Oct 13, 2013.

1. qcbassman

qcbassman

Jan 12, 2013
    USA
    S?First, I hope this is in the right forum...
    I have a new (three weeks old) SR505. I tune it every time I play and when it sits overnight it gets sharp by maybe 5 cents or less. Nothing crazy, but I am just wondering what's going on or what could be causing this. Is this normal? Could it be the new strings, setup, humidity, weather changes? Should I be concerned? My background is in wind instruments so I always assumed string instruments would go flat when sitting...

2. ddhm

ddhm

Mar 18, 2011
    Memphis Tn USA
    Yup, you're in the right place.

You are talking about it happening over night? Don't sweat that. Since it's such a small amount, I'd bet that it's nothing more than the instrument cooling off and settling. You probably have to re-tune after you've played a bit (10-15 min?) as well... sometime after it's warmed up from your body heat. It will probably be less after the strings are broken in too.

3. Filkarri

Filkarri

May 31, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yeah the instrument can go out of tune in either direction depending on temperature and humidity. Doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.

4. You play the instrument.
    The strings warm up from your touch.

You set it down and walk away.
    The strings cool down.

Quiz questions 1 & 2: what happens when metal warms up? What happens when metal cools down?

Hint: the words "expansion" and "contraction" could be used in the answer.

Quiz question 3: What happens to the tuning of strings as they contract?

The alert student will conclude that the laws of physics still apply and are being evidenced in the phenomenon described.