1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going Shopping... Need advice!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cigi, Sep 22, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Ok here's the deal.

In a few weeks I'm gonna start some serious bass shopping.

I've sold all my basses but one (gonna sell it after I got my new bass) and I'm in the market for something new.

I'm a fairly traditional guy. I would a like a vintage modern 4 string. I'd like a vintage looking bass with a few modern options. No fancy wood, neckthrough things required. I don't really like too active sounding basses, but I like my basses versatile (a good jazz can take on whole lot).

Now for the modern parts. I'd like a fairly lightweight bass, with lightweight tuners and not to vintage frets and radius. I Also like my basses to be able to sound agressive, but they also have to be able to sound round and full. My former bass was a tokai 82 jazz sound. Amazing bass, but too mellow for me.

My budget is 1200€.

The basses I had in mind were:

1. Lakland Darryl jones
    2. Lakland 4402
    3. Usa Fender Standard Jazz
    4. Used music man stingray or sterling
    5. Used G&L ASAT
    6. Sandberg california JJ or JM

Now this list is in order of preference as I see it now.

What do you guys think? I really like what I've heard from the lakies, but never played one (I'm going to when I start shopping). At the moment the Darryl Jones is at the top of my list.

Thanks!

Cigi

Edit: The lakies are offcourse skylines...

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You can't go wrong with a good ol' fashioned Fender Jazz bass. MIA or MIJ :smug:

3. DJ all the way! I love mine. It's perfect. :)

4. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks for the replies.

The reasons why the DJ is allways combing back to the top of my list are:

1. Downsized jazz body
    2. Lightweight tuners
    3. I like the binding and block inlays
    4. I like the more agressive jazz tone

I guess you can see I have big preference towards that one. Hope It stays when I actually play one :rolleyes:

How about the weight? Are Skylines lightweight? Is the weight fairly consistent?

5. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I've never played one, but I understood that Lakland necks tend to be much wider (much more like a P-bass). I could be wrong though - this was just based on the string spacing specs that I saw on their site.

You might want to look at the Lakland DJ models. They're slightly more Jazz-bass-ish if I remember right.

Otherwise, yea, I have played plain old MIM Fender Jazz basses that have blown my mind tone-wise. Hard to go wrong in that dept!

6. BobaFret

BobaFret

Jan 22, 2008
    2nd this. My GAS is almost tempered by this instrument. Sounds,plays and looks great.

7. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    You mean the neck of the 4402?

But actually I like my necks big.

I hear you about the mim's, but I think I'm missing out on the modern aspects there (light tuners etc). Then I better could have kept my Tokai. No MIM comes anywhere near the tokai I used to own.

But that's why I posted this. Other options are welcome, Maybe I can be as pleased with a cheaper option.

8. No, unfortunately. If you decide you want one, you need to have the place you're getting it hand pick it if you want a light weight one. Or if you're getting it used, make sure the person selling it weighs it first. Mine is just over 8 lbs. but I've heard they can run up over 10 lbs.

9. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Dur, yes, the 44-02. I didn't read your intial post very carefully to see that you had the DJ in there already.

*forehead slap*

10. Doug Hodges

Doug Hodges

Sep 12, 2008
    I have a stingray bass with active that sounds Awesome but its heavy and the neck isnt as narrow as I like
    I have a 73 G&L which sounds great but its heavy and
    the neck has some dead spots (Probably should take it to a tech)
    I'm getting a jazz bass deluxe...its the bomb versatile lightweight and nice narrow neck...I love the versatility of the active so I'm getting the Deluxe jazz bass
    Everybody raves on them so thats what I'm getting next

11. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Don't go MIM Fender...I know they're all different, and I'm totally making a judgment here, but I played the bass player's we share our practice space with just the other night and it felt and sounded like a little toy. Messed w/ all the knobs and everything.

I was grossed out :crying: and immediately ran back to my CIJ.

12. What Doug said. The MIA Jazz Deluxe I have has 3 of the 4 things you listed as important. The only thing it doesn't have is block inlays. It does have the smaller body, lightweight tuners and a preamp that will give LOTS of different sounds.

13. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    the blocks aren't a must. But the deluxe is active. And I prefer a passive tone. Although I probably should try one. Here in belgium they are also above my budget.

As for the weight of the lakies. I'm going to buy my bass in a shop. I don't like ordering basses. I want to play what I buy. So I will definately buy a lightweight bass. In the case of a skyline, I will only buy it if it's lightweight.

14. jgsbass

jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    OK
    I see you want a Fender style ( bolt on, 4 on a side tuners) with some versatility. The Laklands are a good choice. Fenders are a bigger gamble. So many models and places of origin. Thats before you take into consideration the differences in quality build for each specific model. Fenders have to be seen and played before being bought: they're just too many things that could be wrong for what you need. I would check out the G+L Tribute series. New instruments for a steal of a price and they do play well. If you can afford a Sandberg, why haven't you contacted some of the builders here at TB? You could get a parts bass put together the way you want for close to your budget (Valenti?Filakovsky? Rodent?)Lots of options to mull. As long as you have a bass you like to play on, take your time and look for "that" bass: the one that jumps into your hands and says " play me". You'll know when you find one.

Just remembered (and realized you're on the other side of the pond) how about Hotwires. Do they still exist?

and don't get me wrong: I love Fender. And Fender style instruments ( which includes a lot- everything from your Tokai ( amazing bass, right?) and my Degas through SX's and Sadowskys

15. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I can afford a Sandberg, but I believe they are a lot less expensive here than in the states. A sandberg jazz would cost me as much as a skyline. I was thinking about that. If it wouldn't be sensible to buy a sandberg. But hey... buying a bass isn't a sensible thing... .

I allso thought about builders on TB, but I believe my budget is too limited. 1200 is about my max... maybe 1300...

1200€ is about 1700$ I don't think any builder can build me a bass for that amount of money if all the taxes and sending costs are in that amount.

Hotwires still exist, I believe. I do'nt think they're my cup of tea. Too modern sizzly...

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Not true for 4 string lakland basses. DJ and JO necks have standard fender jazz widths of 1.5 inches. The hollowbody does have a slightly wider 1.6 inch width, but it's still a good deal narrower than the P-bass (and Glaub) width of 1.75.

Lakland 5ers do feel fairly wide but that depends on what you compare them to.

If what you want is a smoking modern jazz bass, then I think the JO is a great choice and can definately give you more bright than your Tokai. I would recomend at least playing a musicman, and a G&L, as they are both really well made basses. As for Fenders, play a few, and if you find one you fall in love with go for it, but I still recomend the Lakland.

17. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    Ok,

Thanks for the replies.

So today, I went to a music store on the way back from work and I've played the new Fender MIA jazz. All I can say is WOW. Really, no minus point on that bass. They had two, one maple FB in charcoal frost and a rosewood fb one in sunburst. Both very lightweight, very good setup. Souding and playing amazing. I prefered the one with the maple fretboard because it could sound a little more agressive. But I hate the color.

I will definately play a few lakies before buying anything, but the mia 08 jazz is definitely a good option so far.

I've also played a stingray and alltough it was really good, I think its not my cup of tea.

18. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Charcoal frost? I bet that looks badass

19. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    actually it's just metallic dark gray. Imho extremly boring color...

The guy of the shop said het loved the colour and was saving up to buy it himselve... I guess some people love it... I don't...

But anyway, that didn't take away the mia 08 fenders are just extremely wel built.

20. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think it'd look nice w/ a tort or black guard...but I do like black basses...