Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going shopping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hammer2748, Apr 27, 2005.

1. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    This is like dating for the 1st time in 25 years....The amp I've been using for the last 14 is dead. I play club gigs mostly with the odd 2 or 3 outdoor (backyard parties, car shows) . I do have PA support. We have a PA on a stick with a single sub powered by a mono 500w amp (band on a budget, what can I say). It's been plenty good for the clubs we do, not usually any thing bigger than 300 people.

Guitarists x 2 with Line 6 Vettas
    Drummer sub-mixed into main board
    Keys direct
    Basses: Spector 5-string, Fender P, Fender J
    **I had a T-max with 2 4-ohmm cabs, which would max out at 500w if needed**

The sub has been awesome and in most cases, just brought my 4x10. (I have a 1x15 and 2x10 I mix/match with as needed/desired).
    QUESTION IS: What can I successfully work with for an amp in this situation. I've got about $550.00 to spend, prefer new (I know ohms are an issue here, as most cases I'm looking at 4ohm min load). I'm 52 and lot looking to fill an arena. Music styles, strictly covers. Our music is 60's to current "top-40" dance rock. I often fill in with a country band from time to time. So I guess I'm not looking at something too crunchy. All options on the table. Thanks a bunch all.

Cheers,
    Hammer

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    This is easy..I'll recommend the Kustom Groove Bass 1200. It does 800 watts @ 4 ohms and 1200 watts @ 2 ohms. $499 brand new on eBay. It produces monster warm tone and can be dialed up for a grittier sound (if ya like that sort of thing). I play gospel, funk, jazz, and R&B, on a Yamaha 5 string and this thing handles it all.

Check it out @ www.kustom.com

Great head, and probably the most bang for the buck out there!

3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

A big +1! Nothing else out there can match the features, watts and tone for $500 new... Lots on info, review and A/B verses other heads in the link in my sig below.

4. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    +1 on the Kustom.

Join us!!!

5. You guys are like cult... In addition to the Groovebass 1200, which I think sounds great, you can check out the Yorkville XS800H and the GK1001rb-II for $600 shipped brand new. They're all around the same watts at 4ohms, but the GK won't do a 2ohm load and the Yorkville has power limiting and actually goes down to 600watts at 2ohms.

6. Quadzilla

Yeah we are like a cult it seems! :D Anyway, it's good that there are a lot of choices in the $500 - $600 range these days!

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, but we haven't worked on the chant or secret handshake yet.

I don't bash anyone else's gear...I just happen to love mine and not afraid to testify (amen, brother!)

Feel free to be fanatical about yours as well!

8. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    We'll discuss the handshake in PM

9. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    LOL!!! right you are, Sutton

10. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    All great ideas, thanks. I especially like the Yorkie and am also checking Genz-Benz. Sweet amps all around I'm hearing/reading. I do however have another possible option I've never explored that just came my way.....maybe......I might have a power amp coming my way. It's a Crown, not sure which model, but I'm told it's rated somewhere around 300w at 4 ohm per side. I've never worked with a stereo power amp, with separate preamp, but it sounds attractive AND versatile. My question is, B]please pardon my ignorance here[/B] , but if in stereo mode the amp is stable to 2 ohms/side, does this still allow the amp in mono-bridged mode to still be stable to 2 ohms????

If it will work, and the amp does become available, I'm thinking sansamp BDDI, or BBE BMax preamp or something along those lines. Is this a practical option????[

PS: The Crown is from a friend who's all but giving the thing away to me!!! So basically I'm looking at whatever the cost 3 or 4 hundred for the preamp new!

11. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Well, I dont know much about pre amps, but alot of people seem to be using that BDDI, so that has to say something about it.

12. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    A Crown power amp, huh...very nice! Crown is very well respected and it sounds like the price is right!

As to your question, I don't believe that it'll be stable @ 2 ohms in mono-bridged mode...but I'm not 100% positive on that

13. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    Ok, question has been answered off-line, the mono-bridged will be 4-ohm min. Also the Crown is off the table.......but the more I looked at that option, the more I liked it. I think I'm gonna chase that option further before doing anything. I guess, the only other question is: How much power amp do I really need in an application like this. From the power ratings I see out there, generally they're way over my needs in bridged/mono. But in stereo, super sweet. All that said, anyone running a rig like that, I'd love to hear from for some advice if possible; e.g., what kind of cables between the preamp and power amp (instrument/speaker?), how to I harness the power of a power amp without overdriving my cab if I'm running a signle cab in bridged/mono?

As for the preamp, I've been researching and I thinks the BBE B-Max is rising to the surface as the one of choice. Price is right, and BBE is darn fine stuff! Input appreciated. Thanks again all. (geez, I'm learning some stuff this week!)

14. Quadzilla

I hear a LOT of good things about the Sans Amp pre amp... BTW, too much power is a good thing. Better to have more than enough than to come up short! That's one of the reasons why I got the Kustom...

A separate amp and pre-amp is a good route to go also, granted it's typically a bit more expensive and takes up more space in a rack (2 or 3 U's for the amp and 1 U for the pre vs 2 or 3 U's total for an all-in-one head, the Kustom is 2U's)...

15. Quadzilla

I see you have 2 - 4 ohm cabs. Your load would be 2 ohms while running both cabs with a head or seperate amp (unless you run a stereo amp). Some heads can run 2 ohms (the Kustom applies here). Check the specs on the amps, heads,etc before buying. What kind of cabs (brand, model) do you have? Believe it or not, it's better to have more watts than you cabs can uses. If you start clipping you amp (overdriving it), it can blow the speakers from the signal it puts out while clipping. Your better off with more wattage...

16. hammer2748

hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    All Peavey cabs; 4x10-TVX, 2x10-TVX, 1x15-BW. I use what the venue calls for. Mostly just run the single 4x10. But I substitue, mix/match as needed.