Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going SWR...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, May 22, 2003.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

The good news is that I'm going back to music as a fullk-time professional.

The bad news is that I have to make a big void in my bank account, since I need to get a big rig. My B-100R won't be strong enough for the 10,000 W PA system if I want to hear myself clearly on stage.

I chose to get a SWR SM-500 with a Henry 8x8 cab.

I'll have to face many different situations, since the band makes covers of various hits, from current tops of the charts to oldies-goodies.

I chose SWR since some players whose tone I love, and who also have to face very different situations, use this brand (and even the SM Series amps). I'm thinking of guys such as Mike Porcaro or Jannick Top.

Any comments are welcome.

All the best,

2. Piezoman

Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    get more power and no 8x8's man. not gonna get the best sound from those. some 8x10's and maybe an SWR Big ben 18" or 2 if you wanna match 10000 wattz. Thats good.

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Using a bit of common sense here, I'd think he would be going through the wonderful 10,000 watt PA system, not trying to match it in volume. He's looking for a stage monitor that can cut through and let him hear himself.

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    That's it, exactly. ;)

5. sounds like a good choice to me - definitely try to find the head used though, could save you lots of money. good luck with your career.

6. I just recently played through an SWR rig for the first time; all I have to say is WOW! :)

Mike

7. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    Adding my voice to the choir... you only need enough power, volume and cabinet to 'hear yourself' on the stage. I think it's probably an 'educated assumption' that you'll have a line out, and / or mic from your rig into the FOH mix???

After more shopping around than a 16 year old looking for new school clothes, I finally found the head that gave me the sound, power and a very reasonable price I was looking for - the Ampeg B-2R. I'd also made a couple of purchases and returns before settling in. (the boys at GC hated seeing me come in the door;^o)

After two-years with the Ampeg and a couple of sound mixers mentioning to me; my rig seems a bit to much into the upper-mids, I walked into a local 'new and used gear' music store to just poke around a little. Hooked into an SWR-400 w/4x10 cabinet on the out.
    As someone else has already pointed up; "Wow!"

Put my Ampeg in the ads, sold it for $400 and found a used SWR SM-400 for the same.

Larger gigs / outdoor stages will see it with a 4x10 and 1x15 from left / right channels out... smaller venues, clubs, and rehearsals are better off with a simple 2x10.

The last gig I did brought unsolicited comments of praise from other musicians in the audience and sound person alike... "your bass sounds real nice now... very 'fat'."

I don't know that I would ever have any need or desire to change... except perhaps something with a bit more power;^O

michael s.

8. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ziggy,

I don't like the B Series Ampegs. Sounded "flat" to me each time I tried one. But I must admit I never took time to tweak them.

I can try to find a used SM-400 or SM-400S here, but I have no real hope about it. There are few, and generally those who own one keep it.

When you find one, it's about EUR 1000/1200, while a brand new SM-500 lists at 1650. That's why I think I'll get a new one, unless I have the uncredible chance to find a used one at a reasonable price.

Oh, among the many reasons why I plan to go SWR, is that the SWR emulation on my Bass Pod is my favorite one. My SR5 sounds fantastic with it. Same thing with the SWR emulation on my Johnson J-Station. I believe it will sound fantastic with a real SWR, too. ;)

All the best,

9. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    I say good choice... This is mine.

10. The SWR SM500 paired with a Henry 8x8 is a superb
    choice. Superior Professional Tone.

I've been playing since '75 and I've tried them all.

I've had my SWR SM400-S and Henry 8x8 rig since '98
    and have absolutely no desire of GAS for anything else.

The SM 500's four band semi-parametric mid eq.
    really brings out the best of that cabinet.

Perfect Amp power for that cabinet too.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    SWR fan here also.....older pic of my rig. I sold the Henry cab though, and stayed with the Senior. The Henry had better low frequency response, but overall the Senior seemed to be louder, cleaner, and more reliable. The Leson tweeter in the Henry is no match for the foster horn in the SR. 1000 watts capability vs. 480. I was also very nervous driving the henry hard...as the speakers looked like they were about to fire across the room.

I also have sold the ray in the pic, it has been replaced with a modulus flea 5, and a sterling.....when it arrives.

My advice is, A/B both cabs and see which one works out best for you....it was an easy decision on my part.

[​IMG]

12. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    ANBassist, I thought mine was good, but you kicked my a$$. Looks cool. Are you in a band with more than one GP? Looks like you could cause some serious damage!

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks, the initial thought was to run both cabs....but I never got around to getting a power amp for the henry......too low ohm to run both off my 750. The more I lug the stuff, the more it gets downsized...I am down to just the 750 hea (no rack), and the Senior.

Good call though, two Marshall triple super lead 1/2 stacks to compete with. They both side fill, with me in the middle of it.....it really doesn't cut through as well as you would think surprisingly though.....I'm not about blowing my stuff up to keep ahead.

Don't worry, I ooh'ed and ahh'ed when I saw your rig too.....but it did give me a reason to post mine :D Nice setup!

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    PS, have you had a chance to A/B the 750 vs. the 750X? I have heard that the 750 has a better preamp, but you have the effects........

I had thought about updating, but I really don't care for any effects.

Also, why the 18 on top?

15. Blueszilla

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Actually, I'm an idiot, I should have bought the 750 because I won't use the effects. the soundwave sounds cool, but I play in a blues and roots rock trio so I'm looking for a solid straight ahead bass tone, no BS to muck it up. There was no need for me to buy it, but I suppose I could sell it and get the 750, but why bother? do you think that worth the time and effort?

Its actually a 15'(Son of Bertha)and to be honest I bought it because I thought the 4x10 wasn't loud enough and i wanted to use all 750 watts, headroom dontchya know. the 4x10 seems to have a better low end response that the 15, go figure. But together, well, it's a man's world ain't it? :D

16. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    SWR makes great amps. But since you are in Europe you can get much better amps for your money. US imported stuff are so expensive. :bawl:
    Look for EBS or Glockenklang. They cost less in EU and sound better IMO.
    At least try a EBS Fafner.:cool:

17. There is used SM400 on german EBay and it starts reasonably low, try to look there, there is also SuperRedhead by the time for less than a grand. Anyway, good luck!!!

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Good choice, jay. I've been an SWR user for about two years now and I couldn't be happier. The SM-500 is a great(!)amp. I'm running mine into a Goliath III, and on stage it cuts through real well (if I had to estimate I'd say we play through a similar PA, in terms of watts). A friend of mine has an SWR 8x8, not with an SWR head, but that thing cuts like a hot knife through butter.

19. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Jeez - there was a post in the FS forum the other day for an SM400S @ $485 shipped anywhere in the US. Post seems to be gone now....

There IS an SM900 in the FS forum for $900 right now, tho.

I can attest to the worthiness of the SM400s w/410 cab - mucho power, volume and fatness! Keep your eyes open - these things tend to pop up unexpectedly and then quickly disappear - just ask nicoli...;-)

DD