1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Going to a 5 String from a Fender P Lyte.... help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    First off, I love my Fender Precision Lyte. It has a killer sound and is mega easy to play. The thing is 15 years old and it plays just as well, if not better, than the day I bought it. I love its punch and its growl.

The band I've just joined has a lot of stuff in the Eb and low D range so I've decided I'm going 5 string shopping. The first thing I tried were the Lakland 55-01. Did not like them at all. They sounded like mudd compared to the Fender.

I'd like to spend around $1000. Anyone recommend a 5 string that will be similar to the play and sound of my Fender???

Thanks for the help.

2. A used roscoe beck or a used american fender V would be my bets for fendery sound and goodness.

3. Why not just get a hipshot detuner? It'll let you keep your current bass (I used to have a P-Bass Lyte - it was awesome!) and detune when the song calls for an Eb.

There are people here who use them and they seem quite happy.

- Andrew

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    Well I have started playing my 5-string even more now...I have went from playing my Fender MIA Hot Rod to now playing my Tribute G&L L-2500. You can get all kinds of freaken tones out of it. It is just a matter of experimenting, and it is still a Leo Fender design.

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    What about a Fender Zone V? The series is basically an updated version of the old "Lyte" series (downsized body, active electronics) and certainly comes in under $1000