Going to a 5 String from a Fender P Lyte.... help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    First off, I love my Fender Precision Lyte. It has a killer sound and is mega easy to play. The thing is 15 years old and it plays just as well, if not better, than the day I bought it. I love its punch and its growl.

The band I've just joined has a lot of stuff in the Eb and low D range so I've decided I'm going 5 string shopping. The first thing I tried were the Lakland 55-01. Did not like them at all. They sounded like mudd compared to the Fender.

I'd like to spend around $1000. Anyone recommend a 5 string that will be similar to the play and sound of my Fender???

Thanks for the help.
  2. A used roscoe beck or a used american fender V would be my bets for fendery sound and goodness.
  3. Why not just get a hipshot detuner? It'll let you keep your current bass (I used to have a P-Bass Lyte - it was awesome!) and detune when the song calls for an Eb.

There are people here who use them and they seem quite happy.

- Andrew

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

5. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Well I have started playing my 5-string even more now...I have went from playing my Fender MIA Hot Rod to now playing my Tribute G&L L-2500. You can get all kinds of freaken tones out of it. It is just a matter of experimenting, and it is still a Leo Fender design.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    What about a Fender Zone V? The series is basically an updated version of the old "Lyte" series (downsized body, active electronics) and certainly comes in under $1000