1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to a combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I've been leaning towards a lighter, smaller alternative to an amp head and speaker cab. The two brands that I'm looking at, the Traynor SB and the Fender Rumble. Both work well with piezo pups from an upright bass and both have a XLR outs. So I have two questions that I think you guys can answer.

1. Can I use the XLR to my bands PA? The PA is two powered speakers and a mixer. Then our mics. There are XLR inputs on the mixer that can be used or 1/4 inch. I'm not sure if there are enough XLR inputs. I might need a converter...i don't know.

2. I think most things being equal, size weight and volume, would you recommend a Traynor SB10 or a Rumble 40? Traynor SB12 or Rumble 100?

The PA can help with volume...Yes?

lowendrachel likes this.
  2. I can recommend the fender rumble series. I have never used the traynors but have heard they are good. I just don’t like carpeted cabs.

Linnin, SwitchGear and Youngspanion like this.
  3. And yes the xlr can go to pa.

Youngspanion likes this.
  4. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Before I made any decisions I'd run a little test to see how well the PA reproduces the bass sound. But yes, the xlr out is intended to go to PAs, but very small PAs may not do the bass very well. But I do get the impression your band is not quite Motorhead. I think I'd be inclined to pick the amp on how I liked the sound rather than specification. What's the band instrument format, and how powerful is the PA. What's your current amp, and is it working hard or sitting round with its legs crossed?

5. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    My current set up includes a Rumble 350, a Rumble 500 and a Littlemark II. All heads that I play either one through a Rumble 115 and TC Electronic RS210. Not working hard at all. Sometimes I find that I have more power then I know how to handle. My band is not loud. We cover a lot of Grateful Dead, Hank Williams, some Sun Records stuff... Nothing very loud.
    The band is me on electric and Upright bass. Small jazz drum kit. An acoustic Guitar. An Electric Guitar and vocals. I don't think the Mackie mixer will have enough XLR inputs but there are two quarter inch inputs in it.

6. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    Reckon I'd pick the amp on what tone suited me then. If you haven't a spare XLR input on the mixer you'll have to look up the spec on your jack inputs. There are all sorts of possibilities, seeing as this business will use 1/4in jacks for anything, but I imagine at worst you'll only need an impedance matching transformer.

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    In that case, I would opt for the Rumble 100. You already know the front end, and which settings to use, so that level of familiarity is important. The Rumble 100 has an effects loop which will allow you to use the effects send as a 1/4" high Z line out to a 1/4" input to the mixer. On top of that, the Eminence 12" driver is a proven performer with double bass, along with 100 solid; clean, continuous honest Fender watts is a real winner.

8. Youngspanion

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    So with the rumble I can go from effects send through a quarter inch cable to the 1/4 input on the mackie. No XLR cable needed....what is 'high Z line'? I just think that the Traynor seemed to sound more like the Rumble 350 head I have now and which I believe will stay with me. I like it. I always have. The 500 is great too but I'm never completely convinced that I like the tone all the time...........well Im never sure either way. Sometimes I think its very good and good to own. Hard to say.

Im not sure that either one is made of a better quality. Some say that the Traynor is built better with better material and so for that, it is better. I don't know that. Its the 'Cheap' Chinese thing too. I have the Rumbles. The cab too. Made in China and not a problem......but sometimes I think that maybe it'll be good to have something that may have a better build quality. 2 year warranty on the Traynor. 5 on the Fender.....i think.

$200 difference in price too.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Yes. High Z is just high ohms. Your Life. Your Choice. Choose Wisely.

zon6c-f likes this.
  10. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    yup, but beware that XLR out on Rumble is only post-EQ (if you tweak EQ for room, you might need to undo it on mixer). no experience with SB combos though.

I had a Rumble 100, if a 1x12" without a tweeter is your thing, go for it. I believe, Traynor SB12 has tweeter that you can turn on and off, that's also good. IOW go for the one that you like better (sound and volume), try both.

11. lowendrachel

lowendrachel

Sep 11, 2012
    GTA, Ontario
    I use the Traynor SB 12. I sometimes attached it through PA. Good luck.

matthewbrown likes this.
  12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I bought a Rumble head as a cheap backup, and some used Rumble cabs because the price was just too good to pass up (and they were local). I've been impressed enough to gig them.

13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Yes! All of the above, run xlr to the PA and you're good (assuming the PA can handle bass). I happened to go with a GK MB212 in a fairly loud band it is plenty. Couldn't believe it myself, really.

14. I have had very good experience with Traynor. I use a Fishman preamp with the double bass, going into a Traynor SB 115. I prefer the sound of a 15 inch speaker. The SB 115 also has a Gain and Master control, the other SB models only have a Gain.

27867305_2791174544499204_581322091596984714_n.

basmansam and Kickdrum like this.
  15. Everything you want and more and reasonably priced ; my choice would
    be GC Acoustic ; best bang for the $ and tons of tone, XLR, effects send .

I’ve owned first gen for years ; a great combo but I prefer separates in the long run .

Good luck and keep us posted

16. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    If you're going for a single small combo that has an excellent DI that can be used pre or post EQ and has a separate level control that is independent of the amp volume (very important IMO) then it's hard to beat the MarkBass line.

17. JohnDL

JohnDL

Apr 27, 2019
    West Wales, UK
    I don't like carpeted cabs either. They pick up bits of rubbishy dirt really easily which can be virtually impossible to get off and if they get any damp and get mold on it's a bloody nightmare. I will never ever buy carpeted gear it's a stupid idea for a covering material as far as I'm concerned.

Curtbass likes this.
  19. Yeah I totally agree. I had a set of four carpeted cabs and they looked horrible very quickly. Three dogs and a cat made them a furry mess. I had to shave them with hair clippers before I could even attempt to pass them on.

Linnin and JohnDL like this.
  20. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    The newer traynors blow away the older ones. In the past they always had a cheap sound to my ears.
    As for the later models, I’ve had Ltd experience with them but they are tough and have a nice clear tone to them. The pa heads are pretty nice also for the price range.
    A worthy investment that won’t break the bank.