Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to a neurologist tomorrow..

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Nov 7, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

I debated whether to post this thread for a few reasons, because of all the recent bad news threads, and cause I don't want to seem like I'm asking for sympathy. Also because of the fact that I'm not really a frequent poster. But I decided to post this cause I know there's a lot of great people here, and I feel comfortable talking about this.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with a neurologist. I've had some strange stuff going on for a while, and after an exam by my family doctor, he decided to refer me to a neuro. I'm really nervous about this and just need to vent. I went to the homecoming dance last night and had an amazing time, and I'm afraid that this is the last good time that I'll have. I know it sounds stupid but that's what's been knawing back the back of my mind. I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow in terms of tests and what will happen. Anyway, just wanted to get that out.

Thanks for reading.

Vince

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good luck with your visit. keep us posted on the results. :)

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Vince, your in the worst part of it right now, the waiting without knowing. I wish you all the best and hope for good news!

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Good luck tomorrow.

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the wondering can definitely be the worst part. good luck bro. without you getting specific i can only be general myself, but fwiw, they know a hell of a lot more now in that field than they did just 5 years ago, keep a positive attitude.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Hope all is well, brother.

7. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I had to goto a Neurologist once because of migraines.. They are by far the coolest doctors.. Keep ya entertained.. :cool:

8. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    Hey man, just relax. Don't worry. I'll agree the Neurologists are usually very cool and informative. They know you're freaked being there and they try help you relax. I have migraines and have to go the the Neurologist every year. Most of the time it's just a precaution when a doctor sends you there.

Good Luck.

9. Take a deep breath....... ahhhh......
    I know what you mean, I just Had A brain tumor scare, took 48 hours to get the results. I'm fine, just a hormone imbalance. The wait is nerve racking.....nothing is worse than what if............ you'll do fine :)

10. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My mom is a neurologist. What's wrong? You think you might have a tumor?

11. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey

Thanks a lot for the kind words guys. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Vince

12. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey

I went for my appointment today, and overall I'd say it went well. The doctor was nice and informative. He did a basic neuro exam and reflex tests/strength tests etc. that came out alright, but he did order an EMG test and Nerve Conduction Study which I will have next month.

Vince

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Sounds good so far Vince, good luck with the rest of it.

14. Hey Vince,

I swear I think these docs just like scaring the sh-t out of us. I just went through similar with a brain tumor scare. I think they are so afraid of being sued (can't blame them) They make you assume the worst.

Sounds Like everything is ok, best of luck.

15. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    That's a little unusual if you have a brain tumor, but maybe I'm just making assumptions...

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My advice is to start worrying once you know for sure if there's anything to worry about. I'm sure you'll be fine.

If you get a pic of your brain, follow Fenderbender's lead and post it here. His was covered in maggots (sorry, couldn't resist :) ).

17. Of course, you know it's easier said than done.

A few years back I had a VA physical that included a "routine" chest x-ray and they found my lungs covered in nodules. I flipped out, and was positive I was going to die from lung cancer. For a few weeks I smoked 4 packs of cigarettes a day and drank exceptionally prodigious quantities of alcohol. Until I finally got in to the doctor, got a bronchoscopy, and found myself with a disease that usually affects the eyes of middle aged black men (at the time I was a 25 or so YO half Asian/half German male). :confused:

It eventually went away on it's own. Seriously, don't worry until it's time. You might pick up a hard to shake heroin habit.

18. Vince S.

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

I posted a couple weeks ago or so about going to the neurologist for some muscle-related stuff. He ordered an NCV/EMG (Nerve Conduction Velocity/Electromyography), which I had done today.

The NCV felt pretty weird. They put pads on certain parts of my leg and arm, and applied a small electrical shock. It felt like static electricity, and made whereever the electrode was placed twitch. The EMG hurt a little cause they put a small needle into certain muscles to read the electrical impulses. I honestly expected it to hurt more than it did though. It was less painful than getting a shot, even though the needle stayed in.

The doctor said the results looked pretty good, and I'm supposed to go back next week for a follow-up and talk about the next possible steps to take.

Vince

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    good luck with it Vince, sounds like so far so good.