Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Going to Bass Central

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Jan 2, 2004.

1. I may be going to Bass Central sometime in the next 2 weeks before i leave Florida to go back to school. This will be my first trip there and i will have the chance to play many boutique basses i would elsewise never get a chance to play. Is there anything there i should look out for specifiacally? any basses someone wants me to check out first hand? I'll be more than happy to play and check out something for someone if i get a chance to go and they are interested in getting the bass there. Also i may bring my FBB there and see how they like it if thats necessary, i know they might not have seen/played one before and i'd like to get an expert opinion on how the pros there like Matt's work.

And if Gard would like to chime in and give me directions there from Rt. 491 in the Crystal River area? I think he said something about knowing the area. thanks.

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Just bring some extra undershorts.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    .... and chee$e.

4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...lotsa cheese, the mice are big...

:eek:

;)

Nick, PM or e-mail me when you're ready to make the trip, I do know the area you're in, my ex-wife's (I think...still not sure :( :meh: ) family lives in Hernando, just 'round the corner from you.

5. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Man I think I take living 20 minutes away from Bass Central for granted.

Gard... the first time I was in your store I didn't know if you guys let people play stuff... It just seemed a little uptight.. but I think that might have been because I'm a bit younger than the average customer... you guys are cool with us trying the stuff out aren't you?

6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Dude! That's what they're up on the wall for!!!

:D

And for chrissakes, let me know when you come in who you are! As you will learn, TBers get treated well in my shop. It does get a bit uptight sometimes, it gets busy, and the stress level can ratchet up a bit, but usually it's a pretty mellow place.

What part of town you live in? I'm in the Winter Park area, near I-4 & Lee Rd. (actually just about a block away from Scam Cash on Lee)

7. Oh don't worry, i'll be bringing all the undies i got.

As for chee$e...i lack a little in that department as far as getting a new super uber bass. maybe a few strings and a nice strap....

Although, i do have a decent credit limit...

Oh, and Gard. If i don't finish playing everything there in one day, do you mind i crash at your place and make a 2 day trip out of it;)

:D

8. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Gard, I'm in Sanford, BC is just a hop on 17-92 away.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Nick, check out a Dingwall Afterburner 5 string and give me your impressions of it!:cool:

10. Will do man, Dingwall was already on my list. i want to see what the fanned frets do for you first hand.

11. embellisher

Cool! Let me know how the B string is tuned down to A, and how easy you think that it will be to get used to the fanned frets. THANKS!:)

12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Nick, the spare bedroom is yours! ;)

Visirale, ah, you are close by! Stop in and say hi next time you're up around 436 & 17-92...:bassist:

Jeff, we can't keep the Dingers in stock...no 5's at all right now, but there's a BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL ABI 6 in Whale Pool Blue up on the wall...for the time being! ;) Nick is gonna tell ya how easy it is to play the thing, and that yes the B really is that good. :D

13. Ok, i'm deffinetly going to BC tomorrow and so far only Jeff has requested that i check out a Dingwall with drop a tuning. Any other requests? I'm more than happy to play as many basses as i can.

I'll be bringing my camera or my digi cam if it feels like working. So expect some good pics to come some time in the future.

See you tomorrow Gard, I can't wait!:D

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

If he's got one of those hollowbody Laklands play it and also play the Casady Bass if he has one and give me a comparison...

PM me the results, no need to embarrass anyone, especially me! :D

Thanks,

Thor

15. Sure thing. I was curious about the hollow body laklands too.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Does Bass central have one of those new hybrid fretted/fretless basses I saw advertised in the latest issue of Bass Player? Is it ALL THAT or is it a bass which has the worst of fretted and the worst of fretless for tone and playability?

17. Ok, i just got back from visiting Gard and the crew at BC and i got to play some incredible basses. I also brought in my bass to check out different amp/cab combos and i think i found my ultimate amp/cab combo which was a Eden Traveler 550 with an aguilar GS112. The sound was incredible! i have never heard my bass like that before. the cabs were very nice and the low b was handled easily and clearly and there was also a sweet slap tone and awesome high's, crisp punchy mids, and nice fat, but not too fat bottoms and that Eden head is extremely visatile.

I got to play a pretty wide aray of basses from Stingrays to a $6200 Fodera Emporer 5. I think my over all Favorite out of the whole bunch was a Blue F Bass BN5 with a maple board. The F bass sounded very nice, had excellent tonal flexibilty and felt and played beautifully! I also tried the new bolt on Fodera Monarch which played and sounded very well, but i wasn't that entirely fond of the roundish neck profile, different strokes for different folks i guess. I also played a Emporer 5 that palyed very well, sounded awesome, and the neck was a little more to my liking but i was too afraid to really get into playing a bass that cost more than my life. I was also VERY impressed with a pedula( i think it was a rapture) fretless 6. Very nice warm tone with plenty of mwah.

Jeff, I played the Dingwall AB1 6 that they had with the passive electronics. The bass was surprisingly easy to play and if you closed your eyes and played you wouldn't even notice the fanned frets. The tone was decent with a good amount of bass and had good mids and i what i though was somewhat thin highs. The neck profile was extremely thin and very fast. I down tuned to low A on the B string and the tension was pretty good, really clean compared to other 5's with a standard B tuning. I think you should go for it or wait for a five to come in, i doubt you won't like it.

Thor. they only had a U.S.A hollowbody instock and no J.C. I played around with the bass for a while and i found a very nice accoustic tone. the tone was very full and clean and if you worked the pickup blend to the bridge you get the accoustic tone with alot more mids which i liked very much and if you solo'd the neck pup you get a very similar sound to that of an upright bass even with this bass being fretted. I liked the tone overall very much but the slim and roundish neck wasn't exactly my cup of tea. The neck is shaped like the other laklands but i think this one was just slightly slimmer.

It was an awesome day, i spent a good 3.5 hours there. I was surprised at the selection there and was just blown away by all these gorgeous instruments.

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Nick.

That'll keep it on the GAS list. They have a Skyline MIK that Lakland is coming out with in the
    spring, Bo-re-Gard had arranged for me to play the prototype in Chicago, but unfortunately, my flights at O'Hare were too tight to go down to the Loop. I like the acoustic tone, as I may have
    an acoustic set opportunity coming up. Also, I just like hollowbody's in general.

I am also a fan of thin necks, so this axe will get a close look.

Thanks
    Thor.

19. embellisher

Thanks for the info, Nick. The thin highs kind of worry me a little bit. One reason that I was looking into Dingwall is because I don't like the sound of the G string on any of my 35" basses, and was hoping that the Dingwall would be the best of both worlds, killer lows from the 37" B and more balanced highs from the 34" G.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Nick -

It was good having you by, sorry we were so busy today, I didn't get to hang out much. I'm still digging out of the hole, and I'm at HOME! :p

I agree about the WT-550, I finally got a chance to use mine at a rehearsal last night and it killed. David got that one right. Are you sure that you were hearing the GS112's? I thought I had you running through the D-112XLT's? Did you re-arrange the speaker cables?

Glad you got a chance to review the basses for Thor & Jeff, those are both wonderful instruments.

Jeff, he's right: Get the Dinger, you won't be sorry.

Thor: If the 55-02 & 55-01's are any indication, the Skyline Hollowbody will be a real winner, if they ever do a 5, it will be on my short list.

Bop: We don't have that whacky idea of a bass in, maybe it's a good idea, but heck, if I wanna fretless, I want 'em ALL fretless.