1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to be playing bass as well in my band. Can you educate me on the following....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by michael.e, Feb 11, 2013.

1. michael.e

michael.e

Nov 6, 2007
    Hey!
    I am a guitarist first. In my neck of the woods, SF bay area, it is IMPOSSIBLE to find a bassist. ***!!

Anyway, the music is hip hop/Rock type affair, I don't mind pulling off my guitar, just as long as I am having fun, and am looking very forward to stepping up and learning a new instrument.

I am looking at a couple of things..

I don't have a lot of money to spend on this, so, this is what I was thinking. I LOVE the look of it, I need to get down and play it in order to make sure it sustains well enough and has no dead spots. Well, for that kind of money, I might have to expect something like that?

http://www.haloguitars.com/store/GOLIATH-4-String-Bass-Black.html

Bigger question is regarding amps. In general, are tube watts equal to SS watts?

I have a '75 Superbass 100 that I plan on using for the bass head in the interim, but I really want a more modern head or unit. What about a Mesa Buster 2-10 with a 1-15" extension cab?

The Buster is 200 watts. Would I be better off getting a class D amp?

Thanks for any input.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Never saw the bass before, but I'd totally use the Superbass and a decent bass cab. Class D is way cool if you need small sized stuff, but there's a reason they still make the tube stuff and it's not because it's heavier to carry.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    I'd say go to a local store and play everything used and inexpensive (NOT READ: cheap) and you'll find something you like.

if budget is the hingepin, spend the bulk on the cab. a superbass head is not junk, and besides that, used bass heads that are ok can be had for very little scratch.

depending on the type of tone you're seeking, solid state amps are kinda status-quo for general bass amps. don't be scared (guitarist) by the 300+ watts ratings. low end needs lots of power to keep up with the other, more ear-friendly instruments. a 1x15 pushed with 100 watts is a decent place to start, too. the peavey tnt has been around forever for a good reason.

4. toothguy

toothguy Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2007
    I'd look around a little first. The spec sheet on that bass says it weighs 20 lbs. !!!

5. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    If you like the les paul shape get an LTD. Dirt cheap, surprisingly good player. Quite drop-tuneable.

6. You are unlikely to have enough clean power for that sort of music with that head.