1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

going to boston and maine for holidays, best places to visit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by solitario, Mar 25, 2013.

1. solitario

solitario

Oct 13, 2011
    Spain
    Hi, going to spend 15 days in boston / maine area in september. I'm from Spain so all suggestions are welcome. I would like to now more about places to visit like national parks and see wild life. Also rock clubs and music stores. restaurants and not typical places for tourist like those hidden treasures locals know about are welcome too

Thank you :hyper:

2. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Acadia(Maine) is stunning.

If you like belgian ales, the allagash brewery is fantastic, although you'd have to make a reservation. Thats outside of portland.

3. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Boston - If you can see Fenway it is cool (as a MA resident for 30 years I have finally given up on the Red Sox and MLB, but Fenway is iconic). Newbury St. is cool, Harvard Square is good people watching. Many cool rock clubs in Cambridge (The Middle East Cafe), jazz clubs (Scullers - http://www.scullersjazz.com/), Fanieul Hall in Boston is fun, especially in Sept.

Maine - Portland - cool town and I agree with Arcadia.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    You just about can't miss in Boston. Fenway is awesome. Too much history to even list in that town. Check out the Pizza District for some good food. There are quite a few Italian places in a one block area. When we left a concert there I told the cabby to take us to some good food. He was right.

As far as not so tourist attractions, just find a local guy in a T jacket hanging around in the subway. We did that several times and got really good tips for places to go hang. The rumors about all yankees isn't true. We love Boston. We've been several times and the people there are as friendly as they can be. And the bar tenders are on their game! We must have been asked "You all set?" about a thousand times a night while we were there.

5. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Boston is a great town for music. Easy to find.
    Go to The Maine Diner in Wells, Maine. Between York and Kennebunkport. Get the Lobster Pie or Lobster mac&cheese. Then go to Kennebunkport. Get a Lobster Roll and some whole belly clams at The Clam Shack. You're welcome.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If you're in the Wells, Maine area, one should stop at Mike's Clam Shack for a meal and then continue up the Blue Star Highway (highway 1) for some amazing natural scenery.

You may be interested in the Concord (Minute Man National Park) and Lexington areas in Massachusetts. The area is rich in USA history. You could head over to Plymouth, Massachusetts to see where it all started with the pilgrims.

I've only been to Boston a couple times since we moved here. I don't have much to add about what to do there. The Paul Revere house is cool. Boston is a neat town, but so far the wife and I have been more impressed with the area around Boston.

-Mike

7. Haven't been to Boston in a nearly 5 years so things may have changed, but aside from Scullers and Middle East, Wally's on Mass Ave (near the mass ave orange line T stop) is a hole in the wall jazz club...lots of great young players (mostly Berklee during my time) frequent there late at night (not every night though, Wednesdays were the nights I checked out).

8. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Long Lake Sporting Club is a nice place with a very interesting history, it was built by a bootlegger from my hometown during the prohibition. Thye also serve the Heineken Dark, I've not seen that beer elsewhere yet.

But then again, that's way up North in Maine, don't waste your time going there :D

9. Also, if u like sushi, there's this place (again, not sure if it's still there) on Newbury St that was below street level (can't remember the name, sorry) that had the BEST sushi I've ever had...heck, several of my native Japanese friends took me there cause that's what they considered great sushi in Boston :D

10. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    for the love of god don't go see plymouth rock.
    Walden Pond is pretty cool, as is the north end (Italian area).
    Wally's (boston on Mass ave) is a pretty good jazz venue, small and great musicians.

11. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    You'll want to rent a car while traveling in Maine. You'll want to use the T (subway and/or bus) to get around Boston. Driving isn't terrible but you can spend a lot of unfun time sitting in traffic. Sometimes, getting to some places by car is more feasible than public transportation.

Non-typical place for tourists? If you go to the Porter subway station, you get to ride a really long escalator. Crazy deep. :confused: That's it. Nothing else.

In Maine and in Cape Cod, you can get on a chartered boat for deep-sea fishing in the ocean.

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Get food and drinks at The Squealing Pig in Mission Hill, Longwood stop off either the E or D Green Line (forget which one).

13. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    September is a good time to visit Maine. The summer people are going home and it's a little early for leaf peepers.

Another vote for visiting Acadia National Park. Sunrise on top of Cadillac Mtn in the park is special if you can arrange your schedule.

14. solitario

solitario

Oct 13, 2011
    Spain
    thank you all for the tips!

about boston... wich is the best district for a hotel if you want to see the old town and historic places?

is it easy to move in public transport in other words, is a better idea not to rent a car while in boston city? the only city I've been in usa where public transport works fine was nyc. LA or miami you mustd rent a car.

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    Check out the Parker House Hotel. Just off the Commons. Shabby Genteel. http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel/BostonParkerHouse.aspx

Public Transportation or cabs are the way to get around Boston.

16. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    the subway and bus system will be all you need while in the city.
    A hotel in the back bay will do you just fine. You can always stay at the Liberty Hotel. It used to be a jail back in its heyday.

17. solitario

solitario

Oct 13, 2011
    Spain
    arbitray... 700 usd per night... not bad :bag:

18. JFOC

JFOC

Oct 23, 2010
    new hampShire
    Boston has a great subway, way easier to navigate that than rent a car & drive. MFA, Aquarium & science museum are all pretty. cool.

For grub in town, I'd recommend the Public House, but I tend to drink a significant portion of my meal =)

19. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    umm...yea I think we stayed there during the winter when it was much cheaper. As long as you find a hotel close to an MBTA stop you'll be fine.

20. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    Such a great time of year to visit!!
    You may want to swing through Portsmouth, NH on your way to Maine. Lots of great restaurants! We love to just sit in Market Square and people-watch.

My favorite restaurant in the world is Joshua's in Wells, Maine (right off Route 95) All fresh, local and organic food. Family-run - great people! Kind of pricey but worth it!!
    You'll need a reservation.
    http://Joshuas.biz

My favorite spot in Maine is Marginal Way at Perkins Cove in Ogunquit. There's a path you can walk on a cliff along the ocean....stunning views!!!
    http://www.yankeemagazine.com/issues/2010-07/travel/marginal-way

You'll have a great time!! We love living here....except for the cold, but that's almost gone :)