1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Going to buy my first cabinet/cabinets soon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BullHorn, Jul 18, 2008.

1. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    Hey guys, I have some questions before I'm off to buy some new amplification gear.

First things first - I'm going to get a Little Mark II. I would like to get the most out of it, so it's either 2x8Ohm or 1x4Ohm, I won't settle for 1x8Ohm.

Is there a significant sound and volume difference between a 2x10+2x10 (2x8Ohm, which is essentially 1x4Ohm on the LMII) combination compared to a single 4x10 (1x4Ohm) cabinet?

Can you describe the sound difference with words, regarding 1x15, 2x10 and 4x10? If not, do you have some audio samples that could help me understand?

What kind of cabinets are suggested for the LMII? I don't want the amplifier to overpower the speakers and I also don't want the speakers to underpower the amplifier, so I aim at 400w-500w cabinets. Of course, I'm still undecided whether I want 1x15, 2x10 or 4x10.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If I was getting 10"s, I would get two matching 210's and stack them on end and on top of each other like this:

|O|
    |O|
    |O|
    |O|

That makes for quite a huge sounding mini-rig. You get a speaker up by your ear, and you get a nice tall stack to distribute your sound evenly across the stage or venue. As a matter of fact, I can see myself doing this in the near future. It's a little bit more expensive than a 410, but it's worth it to be able to have speakers up by your ears, and because it's a tall stack with no comb filtering issues, it'll be a lot better sounding IMHO.

You could also do two 115's the same way.

Hard to describe the tones of each size speaker since a lot has to do with the cabinet, but generally 10"s are brighter and brasher and 15"s are a little more mellow.

You won't have any trouble finding cabs for the LMII. There are plenty out there and almost all of them work just fine with the LMII.

3. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I've been looking into cabinets, they are quite expensive.

I guess if I get an 8 ohm cabinet that can run at up to 300w would be enough for now. Later when I have the money, I could get another one to get more boost and run 2x15 at 4 ohm.

I could probably get a 1x15 and just blast through it. I'm just scared of those because the only 1x15 I played through was a Fender Rumble 100w and it sounds like arse, that's why I've been hoping to hear other cabinets.

For example, one of these. It's really cheap, it runs at 300w with 8 ohms of resistance. Later getting a second one should not pose a big problem.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Unlike basses, with amps, you kind of do get what you pay for. It may sound decent, but at that price, I wouldn't expect stellar performance.

5. 6stringninja

6stringninja

Jul 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I have a carvin 8 x 10 that sounds killer. I used to run a behringer 4500 head on it and it sounded clean. I picked it up direct from carvin for 550 back in april. They have some nice 2 x 10 systems. However you can't beat the 8 x10 or 4 x 10 if you dont want to be way too loud. I've had carvin cabs for a while and can't complain they hold up to abuse and the cabs are pretty light weight.

6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Keep in mind that more speaker cone area will gain you more volume than more watts, so 500 watts into a pair of 2x10 cabs at 8 Ohms each will be quite a bit louder than one 2x10 at 4 Ohms with the full 500 watts. If you're short on cash I'd advise 1 good 2x10 or 2x12 or 1x15 at 8 Ohms that you can add to later.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021