going to catch some flak..... i`m a lefty and proud

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sawblade6, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    I`m a lefty and there is no getting around it. I was jam`n on my bud`s acoustic guitar yesterday and i turned it around so i could play lefty. I was actually alot faster with the pick and fingers, and i could fly up the and down the frets alot better. My right hand is more flexible and my fingers feel more comfortable.... ok im done explaining myself.

So ive decided im in the market for a lefty bass.. not much choice, but i got 3 main dilenmas
    Washburn XB120
    Peavey Millennium BXP
    Ibanez GSR100
    What i want to know about those is which one give me the choice to upgrade that such bass. Or.. does it have the potential to be a far better bass. I really dig the Peavey cuz it looks BEAUTIFUL, but Washburn is a good name. And Ibanez makes some bad guitars. So im stuck. but i like the peavey.

Joseph USMC

Not in the sand box yet :crying:
  2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Same thing that happened to me. In elementary school, my buddy saved up his coins and bought a Gibson Victory guitar. I picked it up righty (normal for that guitar) and struggled. Then I played it upside down and it was so much better for me. Been a lefty ever since.

I vote Peavey BXP !!
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    there's a few schools of thought about this, and as a right hander i'm in no position to dictate what you do.
    One guitar player i knew is left handed and his teacher insisted he learn to play right handed. his rationale was that lefty instruments are more expensive, harder to find, and if you needed to borrow one, sit in, or rent one you were just plain out of luck. this particular player was forever grateful to his teacher for this.
    Other people belive it is better not to fight nature and purchase and learn on left handed intruments.
    A few people modify the bridge and nut of right handed instruments so they can be strung left handed a la jimi hendrix
    The last group adopt a "middle of the road" approach and learn to play right handed instruments "upside down" in a left handed position. Jimmy haslip comes to mind, although he now strings left handed instruments as if they were right handed and playes them left handed. FWIW, more bassists are prone to do this than guitar players for the simpel fact that some chords are almost impossible play upside down.
  4. well, i am a lefty who has learned to play righty...its just natural for me i guess, but then again it made more sense to me to have my dominent hand fretting the notes rather than plucking the notes...as for basses, you say that you like the peavey, why don't you go for it? the washburn might have a cheaper price tag on it, but in the long run i have a feeling you will be happiest with the bass that you really want...otherwise you'll get the washburn and be satisfied with it, but you'll probably still want the peavey! (thats how i am, and i had to learn the hard way!!)

5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Peavey seems to be best out of those.
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    My first bass was an Ibanez SR300DXL. Go with whatever you like. If it's your first bass, you'll learn the differences sooner or later on your own. I ended up going from an active Ibanez to MIM Jazz and later a MIA hot rod P. There aren't many options out there for lefties, but keep an eye out. Try all three and see which is more comfortable and go with that.
  7. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    maybe eventualy i will learn righty, but right now i want to learn the way that i am comfortable. I`ll just go off what i build as a player down the road. Well, on another note. i made my decision. I went to sleep and had a dream about the Peavey... so i guess that means I must buy it. Ma says dreams are doors and we all must not just brush them off as mere dreams, because they could be true. Now i just gotta figure out how to get it to Okinawa.
  8. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    You know, there was this guy, I can't recall his name, but he played a violin bass left handed. Anyway, I think he did alright for himself.
  9. I think I know who you're talking about. He was in some Scottish band or something... in any case they talked funny. I remember that dude. He just got lucky 'cuz it's really hard to hold a violin bass "backwards."

Sawblade- How dare you be left handed!!!

I knew a dude that could play better than me lefty, better than me on a righty guitar upside down. That was humbling. He decided to stop playing because it wasn't enough of a challenge for him. Oh, but he still DJ's...
  10. pentexlovesme

Mar 28, 2004
    I too, have fallen to the seductive call of the left hand instrument. When I first got started (which was really only a year ago, so keep this in mind...) it just felt better for me to play it with my left hand. I -knew- that it would make things much harder for me down the line (what with buying new gear and everything.) but hey, I guess I just wasn't thinking that much. Either way, After slugging through a year with my hoooorible, hooooorible, Silvertone I'm planning on upgrading to a MIM Fender Jazz (I know, it probably wont be much better knowing my luck, but still...)

So what's the moral of this post? Well, nothing really. But us Lefties are a proud folk, and if you want to play that left handed instrument, just go ahead and do it! :bassist:
  11. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Yup, nothing wrong with being a lefty. I'm sure it's equally possible to learn right or left handed, but for me playing righty just felt wrong, had no rhythm in that hand.

It is a hassle sometimes (especially not being able to go into a shop to try out basses), but pretty much any bass I'd ever want is available (or can be made..) lefty.
  12. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm a lefty, but the only things I do with my left hand are write, eat, and brush my teeth. Everything else I do is with my right hand. Been that way my whole life, up to now that is, I'm still living! Anyway, I vote for the Peavey.
  13. Sawblade6

Nov 30, 2004
    Okinawa, Japan
    yeah woodchuck, im the same way. I do everything with my right, but i shoot and play guitar with my left. It just feels better. I`m also a way better shot with my left opposed to my right. tight 6 inch pattern at the 500 yard line with no scope and only iron sights.

Marines do it better
  14. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm a lefty who plays lefty. The Ibanez Ibanez GSR200 with the "phat" boost knob that sells at Guitar Center for $250 is a really good sounding instrument, and it plays so freaking easy; it's my absolute first choice for a starter instrument for my lefty son (when he decides to start, that is). It would be a long time before you outgrew that one.